Question about Shimano SPD-SL shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
shimano-wr310-sh-11-zoom.jpg
Can anyone tell me what this hole at the front of the shoe is for?

I've won a pair of these off ebay at a reasonable price and they have come with SPD cleats. I thought this hole might have some relation to the SPD-SL cleats but looking at them on tinternet they don't look like they will cover this hole. Not looking forward to wet feet :sad:

Sleeper

Ventilation! Happy toes :-)

heliphil

Guru
It really is for ventilation - I had to walk though a field of wheat stubble at the weekend and could not believe how many stuck thru the hole !!!!!

VamP

Banned
Try them first!

Ventillation is a good thing, that's why they put them there.

If it's a properly wet day, your feet are going to get wet anyway, that's what overshoes are for.

OP
OP
rodgy-dodge

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
thanks guys, do most road shoes have these holes my shimano mtb shoes don't!? wish I'd done a bit of research first, I'm now looking at over shoes - husband is gunna love me :rolleyes:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
All the modern road shoes I have had have vents in the bottom. Great in summer, not so good in the winter. Hence overshoes and tape over the vents on the sole in the winter. They do make winter road boot type things for road pedal systems. Here :biggrin: bit more cost than a bit of tape and some neoprene overshoes though........

OP
OP
rodgy-dodge

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
Just bought
TS01.jpg
some of these this morning from aldi to keep out the cold through those vent holes seem to work a treat although its not been raining I think I may have to tape up the holes so wet doesn't get in

Just a bit of electrical tape sorted me out, it's even lasted on there for the last 2 years.

Not had a problem in the summer either :tongue:

Top Bottom