question for electrical minded

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
So they are both AC devices wrongly called a dynamo, I wasn't sure about the bottle 'dynamo' type but that explains it they are actually a Magneto.
I knew the hubdyno produced AC but so do the bottle types so both need a rectifier to charge a battery.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
That article clears it up, the generators on bicycles are actually magnetos.
And if i'm thinking right, dynamos are half wave.....however, I have been drinking cidre (proper spelling) since BBQ o clock, so I'm probably totally wrong

speccy1

A chunky diode will do the job. Although an LED is a diode, it won`t be man enough for the job, LED`s are only very low current

jonesy

Guru
That article clears it up, the generators on bicycles are actually magnetos.
The article doesn't say, but I think that bicycle generators use fixed coils and a rotating magnet. This means they don't need brushes or slip rings, so the design can be simpler, and presumably less vulnerable to dirt and wet. For filament lightning DC had no advantage over AC, so the simpler AC design was fine for that purpose.

subaqua

What’s the point
The article doesn't say, but I think that bicycle generators use fixed coils and a rotating magnet. This means they don't need brushes or slip rings, so the design can be simpler, and presumably less vulnerable to dirt and wet. For filament lightning DC had no advantage over AC, so the simpler AC design was fine for that purpose.

and back in the late 1800/early 1900s DC was hard to transmit across great distances due to the significant losses. New york would have needed a power station every couple of blocks if they had stayed with the DC system.

which is funny as the DC system is now used for the EHV links from the continent .

Quite a few years ago (early-mid 90s), I ran a system like that, for my commuter bike

I had 2 old dymano lamps on the bike, as the rollers wore out (be they 'bottle', or 'chainstay' types), so the battery was in a saddle bag, with just a couple of Lucar connectors in-line, so I could just plug them together, for my journey home (Leeds - Wakefield)
It required charging perhaps once a month, if memory serves

jonesy

Guru
and back in the late 1800/early 1900s DC was hard to transmit across great distances due to the significant losses. New york would have needed a power station every couple of blocks if they had stayed with the DC system.

which is funny as the DC system is now used for the EHV links from the continent .
Yes, but we are discussing bicycle 'dynamos'!

Top Bottom