Question for you vintage owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crosstrailer

Many years ago as a youngster I had a racing bike which I enjoyed zooming around on. I have just seen the exact same model on ebay for a very reasonable sum, the question I want to ask if if I do make the purchase where do I need to set my expectations ?.

The last thing I want to do is buy a 1980s bike and absolutely hate it in comparison to my 2012 bike. In your experience how does the user experience of a 1980s racer/tourer work compare to a modern bike ?

Thanks in advance

What make and model are we talking about? A Raleigh Flyer or a Colnago Super?

raindog

er.....
I ride a 1990s Italian steel racing bike and a more recent aluminium/carbon job. They're different, but I love riding them both.
If what you're thinking of buying isn't too expensive then go for it, but I can't see the point in trying to compare it to your 2012 bike.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
sorry but for me the steel bikes are a much nicer ride than modern machines , as for expectations main difference in std form will be stopping power and non index gearing .

a set of decents pads can help with the braking , and sure you could graft some index shifter on if really neaded , go for it try and see if not what you wanted flog it on

OP
OP
Crosstrailer

Crosstrailer

Thanks for the replies.

I am fully expecting comedy brakes and fumbling around on the frame to change gear, I don't expect it to ride as well as a new bike. I think I may well give it a go and as you say I could always sell it if I didn't like it.

Its a member of the Falcon family Mickle, nothing out of this world and more a sports tourer I suppose. Thankfully the bone hard standard seat has been replaced by the looks of it.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Every type of bike has its own characteristics, but when it really comes down to it, a bike is a bike is a bike, so just get out there and enjoy it for what it is, not what you want it to be!

sidevalve

Über Member
FWIW Falcon made some very nice bikes. Depends on the model but they often had alloy rims and with a decent pair of brake pads you may be surprised about the "comedy" braking power. As for "fumbling around on the frame to change gear" well yes but it is a very direct system and if the gears are indexed you're only "fumbling" for, at most, 2 secs, even if they're not, once you get the hang of 'em it's still a very fast change.
After all, if you can't let go of the bars for that length of time [and I mean no offence here] how do you give any hand signals ?
I ride a classic m/cycle and a modern one, the old girl doesn't have electric start or adjustable suspension settings nor will she do 125mph but it is great fun to ride. It's just a question of adapting the riding style and enjoying it.

Teuchter

Über Member
I rode my 2011 Specialized Allez to work for the first time in over a month today... I've been almost exclusively using an 80s Peugeot road bike recently. Here are my views on the comparisons between these old and new road bikes.

Thoughts...
The Allez (alu frame, carbon forks) feels significantly lighter than the Peugeot (steel) when lifting it up but this is less noticeable once riding.

The Allez feels a lot more twitchy than the Peugeot, down to the "racier" geometry of modern road bikes.

Both bikes fit me and don't have massively different ergonomics (i.e. relative positions between saddle, bars and pedals). I still find the Peugeot to be comfier though.

The Allez's tiagra gears (2x9 speed, brifters) are nice but I have no issues with the Peugeot's friction downtube shifters (2x6 speed) either and the friction shifters have a certain simple appeal.

The Allez stops a bit better than the Peugeot but the old bike stops well enough for me. Modern aero brake levers that I've fitted to the Peugeot (a cheap upgrade) help quite a bit here, even when used with vintage brake calipers.

The Peugeot has mudguards and pannier rack so most of the time wins on practicality.

Once I've ridden either bike for about 10 minutes, I stop noticing the differences.

I'm going on holiday next week and will be taking a bike for morning rides while the rest of the family waste their holidays sleeping in. I'm taking the Peugeot, not the Specialized.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think what you should remember is that bikes have'nt changed that much in twenty or thirty years. Apart from more modern materials and advances in brakes plus seat comfort. So riding a bike from yout teens isn't going to that different and will give you a nostalgia trip! Just enjoy.

Top Bottom