Question of drag coefficient

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattobrien

Guru
I suspect that the drag coefficient will vary by shape as well as depth of rim, so you will need to get drag data for each wheel set you are looking at, rather than being able to just get a single figure for 60mm depth rims.

If I have misread you post, apologies.

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
I suspect that the drag coefficient will vary by shape as well as depth of rim, so you will need to get drag data for each wheel set you are looking at, rather than being able to just get a single figure for 60mm depth rims.

If I have misread you post, apologies.

Tks,

Well if I can get a figure for a 60mm profile rim (regardless of brand or type of spoke), at least is close in comparison with one that is 90mm rim or disk.

Anyone?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Depends on the wheel.

Rim shame can have a very large effect on drag, further, the yaw angle (which will change with wind speed, direction and your speed into it), the speed you are riding at, the tyre mated to the rim etc.

Also the effect of the wheel on overall drag will vary depending not only whether it is placed on the front or rear of the bike, but also on the frame you fit it to. Some wheels produce less drag than others on certain frames, yet the result may be the opposite on a different frame.

IMO, if this is just an exercise in academics and you are not deciding what to buy, I would advise you look at tunnel data published by HED and Zipp (easy to find) or similar independent studies, they exist, look harder.

If it is for the purpose of informing a purchase decision, I would just say, unless you are at the sharp end of TT results, then buy the one you can afford/looks best/matches your bike! If talking rear wheels, always buy the disc wheel, they go rumble rumble!

BTW, I have a set of FFWD wheels.

GrasB

Veteran
Your problem is this... take a look at drag (g) v's wind yaw (beta) for 60mm & 90mm deep rims
jet_6_FR.gif

jet_9_FR.gif

Note that the drag varies quite lot & has a different profile depending on the rim. With this How do you work out the Cd of the rim?

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
Tks Rob,

Currently I'm using a 23mm Campagnolo Shamal alloy wheel. I'm riding a Bianchi and just felt the FFWD celeste colour matches very well. But also understand profile wheel is not meant for climbing. Though I'm not into competitive riding, my social rides takes me to many countries with my bunch of friends mainly tackling climbs, grade between 3 to 8% combining with flats over dist of 100km to 180km. I'm looking in the long haul if I were to change to 60mm FFWD, it has to be better if not worse. Given all other things constant, I do not wish to be hampered by a profile wheel that look nice but cannot perform to its task.

I know the bottom line is very much your piston but believed over a long distance, it may be significant if a wrong choice of wheel is made. What do you think?

The other reason I'm asking is with ith the drag coeff, figures, I can feed into below computation for a comparison to see how much it can benefit me.
http://www.analyticcycling.com/WheelsClimb_Page.html

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Are you aware the wheels you linked to are tubular rims? You will need to glue/tape tubular tyres to them, not fit clinchers. If you want a clincher version they are going to be heavy, ~1850g. Link: http://www.ffwdwheels.com/products/wheels/road-carbon-alloy-clincher/f6r-c/

The tubular version will still climb well as they are light as well as deep, compared to clinchers (even good ones). But they may not be convenient for you.

The clincher version won't be particularly great for climbing and (both versions) may be susceptible to cross winds.

On the flat, they will be faster than shallow rims though.

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
Are you aware the wheels you linked to are tubular rims? You will need to glue/tape tubular tyres to them, not fit clinchers. If you want a clincher version they are going to be heavy, ~1850g. Link: http://www.ffwdwheels.com/products/wheels/road-carbon-alloy-clincher/f6r-c/

The tubular version will still climb well as they are light as well as deep, compared to clinchers (even good ones). But they may not be convenient for you.

The clincher version won't be particularly great for climbing and (both versions) may be susceptible to cross winds.

On the flat, they will be faster than shallow rims though.

Ya, I'm refering to FFWD clincher which is 1805g against my current Shamal 1425g. But I do know a savings of 380g is not a great deal.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
On wheels a saving of 380g is a lot.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Deep dish rims climb terribly, my 60mm Zipp 404 firecrests come in at 1525g a set and by no means would I say they climb exceptionally well at all. When Im heading for hills my wheel of choice has a 32mm depth and weighs 1375g a set.
Wheel weight matters far more than areo on hills imho

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
But also understand profile wheel is not meant for climbing.

You've read way too much into the categories on Campagnolo.com, I think. Medium-section wheels like the Shamal & my Zondas are very good all-rounders, and they're not much heavier than the low-profile wheels like the Neutron. And like Rob & Venge have said, weight matters far more than aero for climbing.

Top Bottom