Question of the day:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Answer: John Glenn.

Yes it was. I know you think it was Yuri Gagarin, but it wasn't. Rules were broken so Gagarin's effort shouldn't count. And why?

The rules at the time, taking into account that pretty much any nation could send a man into space, stated that for the attempt to be considered successful, the man had to come back to earth and land in at least a part of the craft that was sent out. It was this return that was the tricky part.

Gagarin didn't return to earth in the craft. He bailed out at 20,000 feet. As the Soviets at the time were ultra secretive and allowed no independent verification, they announced that Gagarin had indeed returned to earth in the craft, but he hadn't! His bail-out invalidated their claim to him being the first man in space. Okay, he was given the title and this was accepted until it was discovered how duplicitous the Soviets had been but it was considered too late to strip him of the title. It's like saying 'John Smith was the first athlete to jump over 30 feet' and this could be validated at the sand end with the measuring tape. However this could be because there were those who wanted him to achieve this feat and hid the fact that at the jumping end, he was well over the board.

First man in space? Step forward Major John Glenn!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Ah, but they applied the Moscow protocols, thus landing him at ... Mornington Crescent
smile.gif

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Oh Bum!!
My son (6) told me last night Lance Armstrong was the first man on the moon.. I explained it was Niel! He asked me who was the first man in space I told him Yuri, he's still convinced Lnace went into space, i'm not getting into another arguemnet with him!!

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Oh Bum!!
My son (6) told me last night Lance Armstrong was the first man on the moon.. I explained it was Niel! He asked me who was the first man in space I told him Yuri, he's still convinced Lnace went into space, i'm not getting into another arguemnet with him!!

Tell him he played a mean trumpet in our Wonderful World!

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Sounds more like a daft rule to me.

Just because he did not land in his craft does not mean he did not go into space.

I know. Seems like a man DID jump over 30 feet but the bit about the other end was ignored. It's a fact that in order to stop some cavalier nation sending up a man atop a modified nuclear missile and sacrificing his life in order to claim the title, the rule was brought in. That doesn't sound daft to me. It sounds...well, sound.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The long jump analogy doesn't work... a better one would be that the long jumper has to land wearing the same clothes as he left the board in. Gagarin just "whipped off his shorts", so to speak.
smile.gif

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Answer: John Glenn.

Yes it was. I know you think it was Yuri Gagarin, but it wasn't. Rules were broken so Gagarin's effort shouldn't count. And why?

The rules at the time, taking into account that pretty much any nation could send a man into space, stated that for the attempt to be considered successful, the man had to come back to earth and land in at least a part of the craft that was sent out. It was this return that was the tricky part.

First man in space? Step forward Major John Glenn!

For various reasons that I know you haven't thought about the definition is generally along the lines of what Ianrauk said. As various people have pointed out over the years, the spacecraft returned intact with pilot and craft in a safe place, something that cannot be said for all other landings.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Oh Bum!!

No no! EVERYONE knows it was Louis Armstrong, Buzz Lightyear and Phil Collins!!

We always used to say, Yuri Gagarin wasn't actually the first man to go up into space. He was the first man to go up into space and return, still alive. Or, to put it another way, he was the first man to receive the customary bear-hug from Krushchev. Perhaps he should have baled out over some other country? :wacko:

And first man on the moon? In the 80s lots of kids thought it was Neil Kinnock, actually.

Top Bottom