Question on why pull the wrong train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
Q on the Tour. For simplification, lets say Team A and B

So common to see Team A domestique went all out tiring himself pulling Team B train whilst Team A appointed leader is behind Team B. Why is he doing that? His actually helping Team B to win, isn’t it? I witness this so many times nearing the finishing line (say 2 km away). If Team A appointed leader is not immediately behind his domestique which is at the front pulling Team B, why don’t the puller slow down and let Team B do its job and exhaust themselves, while Team A leader find a way to squeeze in. Or Team A domestique form another lead line and let his leader chase up. I know forming another lead libne is not easy as Team B can merely following behind him. If that happens, then team A domestique should slow down and not doing Team B train a favour.

Is it a face saving thing and wanted to be on Tv and please his sponsor however wrong train his pulling?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are loads of reasons. Also how many other Team A's in the group, how that affects the Teams overall position, sponsor 'at the front', Team tactics (working together) against Team C and D...

PaulSB

Legendary Member

So common to see Team A domestique went all out tiring himself pulling Team B train whilst Team A appointed leader is behind Team B. Why is he doing that? His actually helping Team B to win, isn’t it? I witness this so many times nearing the finishing line (say 2 km away). If Team A appointed leader is not immediately behind his domestique which is at the front pulli ng Team B, why don’t the puller slow down and let Team B do its job and exhaust themselves, while Team A leader find a way to squeeze in. Or Team A domestique form another lead line and let his leader chase up. I know forming another lead libne is not easy as Team B can merely following behind him. If that happens, then team A domestique should slow down and not doing Team B train a favour.

Is it a face saving thing and wanted to be on Tv and please his sponsor however wrong train his pulling?

As above ^^^ there are many tactical reasons. Using your example the Team A domestique takes the front and all of Team B follows him - his job is to tire sufficiently Team B so the Team A leader can ride past a tired Team B and take the stage. Though it is rarely as simple as this.

So common to see Team A domestique went all out tiring himself pulling Team B train whilst Team A appointed leader is behind Team B. Why is he doing that? His actually helping Team B to win, isn’t it? I witness this so many times nearing the finishing line (say 2 km away). If Team A appointed leader is not immediately behind his domestique which is at the front pulling Team B, why don’t the puller slow down and let Team B do its job and exhaust themselves, while Team A leader find a way to squeeze in. Or Team A domestique form another lead line and let his leader chase up. I know forming another lead libne is not easy as Team B can merely following behind him. If that happens, then team A domestique should slow down and not doing Team B train a favour.

It might be he doesn't know where his leader is - he might have been told to go flat out from 2k onwards. His leader may be on his wheel or he may be sitting on the wheel of another sprinter. Domestique is just doing his job.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
(S)He is helping to keep the pace up at the front of the peloton, for a tactical reason.

most common would be to keep teams C & D behind, particular if his /her leader is just going to hop on the wheel of team B's sprinter.

but if could be a nuanced as team B helped Team A out on the previous stage

or team A wanting to keep rider X who is in a bad position out of the points / with a time deficit.

Reactions: mjr
It might be he doesn't know where his leader is - he might have been told to go flat out from 2k onwards. His leader may be on his wheel or he may be sitting on the wheel of another sprinter. Domestique is just doing his job.

I think this may be the most common reason. It's perhaps not the optimum thing to be doing, but better than doing nothing, or even getting in the way.

Good question @novetan , IMO!

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
As above ^^^ there are many tactical reasons. Using your example the Team A domestique takes the front and all of Team B follows him - his job is to tire sufficiently Team B so the Team A leader can ride past a tired Team B and take the stage. Though it is rarely as simple as this.
Team B is merely drafting. If the intention is to tire out team B, then Team A leader could be equally just as tired unless they talkie he is still fresh

Rarely will a domestique not know where the chosen one is....team radio will make sure of that !

I think that is normal for most of the race - but in the last 3k or so it can be chaos and plans go awry.

Top Bottom