Quick computer help..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

...'something' appear to have gone a wee bit wrong. I cannot use smileys on the forum and keep getting error messages when trying to access my aol e-mail.

Anyone know how to remedy this? AOL may just be playing silly buggers I suppose...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Clear cookies ? Try a re-boot !

peanut

sometimes that can be the worst thing to do if you suspect a virus or trogan.
I would play safe and download spysweeper and AVG and run both. They are both free . Just to be on the safe side in case you have picked up a trogan.
Everytime you reboot your PC reconfigures ,makes changes to the registry and the boot sector. If you have a virus it could make the situation 10x worse;)

Alternatively you could do a restore to the beginning of the week when everything was last ok .
Start, Control panel, System, system restore

Yep, I see a smiley.

I guess you're browsing through AOL then. If so check their support pages by bunging the error message in the search http://help.aol.co.uk/settings. Also their interactive help can be pretty useful. AOL should be taken outside quietly and shot. Open IE independently and see if it works.

< shakes head smiley>

:laugh:

Hit the start button and find Internet Explorer, start it up, go to Cyclchat and see if the smileys work. If they do it's AOL.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Crackle said:
But have you got IE on your computer to do a comparison with?

I can never get into IE, cos my computer goes 'wonky' (as in I cannot access IE) when I try. So I never bother. Cos I know what happens.

bonj2

whether you can use smileys or not is nothing to do with your computer. smileys are server side, they're basically just displayed because phpBB decidesto recognise the tags for them and render them as pictures instead of the text. If you can post text, you can post smileys.
Do you in fact mean that you can't get the smiley window up? That'll possibly be to do with your popup blocker?

Top Bottom