quick frame size question please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jubblyray

please can someone tell me the ideal frame size for myself on a road bike
i am 5ft 11 inches tall, my inside leg measurement is 31 1/2 inches
thanks in advance ray

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Quick question - slow answer :laugh:

It all depends on the type/make etc of bike. There's no simple answer (as I believe) I'm afraid. ;)

Lots of people much wiser than I will come along and give you wonderful (confusing ? conflicting ?) advice but a good place to start could be here at Peter White.

The received wisdom is also to go along to your LBS, ask lots of questions, sit on lots of bikes, don't be pushed around and try before you buy.

Happy sizing.

Noodley

I have never had a proper bike fit. I wish I had.

It is something I shall be paying for soon. Most places who do a proper bike fit will take the cost off any bike you purchase from them.

OP
OP
J

jubblyray

thankyou for your responses , i will go into lbc at the weekend and i will post the outcome

cheers ray

Noodley

jubblyray said:
thankyou for your responses , i will go into lbc at the weekend and i will post the outcome

cheers ray

I'm not sure how much a proper bike fit on a jig or "otherwise" costs but after a few years cycling I reckon I have spent #100's faffing about with various additions/changes/etc...

Don't just sit on the bike and give it a go to see if it feels okay. My bikes all feel okay but all of them are different.

Your LBS may try to say it's a good fit but if they do not do a bike fit service I'd go elsewhere. As much as it is good to get a bike as soon as you can, the extra effort will be worth it.

ASC1951

Guru
I'm with Noodley on this. If you are going to be more than a casual cyclist, go and get a fitting on a proper bike jig. I only had to do it once (and the price came off the bike) but it has saved me £00s over the years and allows me to set all my bikes up to fit me without fiddling about with spare stems etc.

If you are an occasional cyclist not too bothered about what you ride - which isn't worse, just different priorities - have a look at some of the numerous websites, find a knowledgable LBS and try before you ride, preferably a varied 10+ mile outing.

Maz

Guru
asterix said:
Don't be fooled by a short test ride - you only find out if it really fits after a lot of miles!
What's the answer to this then? Can you borrow the shop bike for a few days?

asterix

Comrade Member
It doesn't seem very likely. The plain fact is that if you intend to do significant distances then you need to get the bike fit right. It's no use jumping on a few bikes to ride a mile or so because in my experience the problems make themselves felt after 10 to 20 miles.

Of my 3 bikes the best fit is a Roberts that was built to fit me. I must admit I did have to change the angle of the saddle nose down a millimetre or so but after four years I still feel like I am put on a favourite garment or pair of shoes every time I get on it.

Earlier I had bought a custom Bob Jackson, but frankly they just couldn't be bothered to get it right and gave me a lot of hassle.

The 3rd bike was off ebay and I bought it because it had very similar dimensions to the Roberts (most importantly for me, the top tube length) and that too is a good bike to ride.

Chris James

Über Member
At the risk of being branded a 'casual' cyclist, I have never had a 'bike fit' and my bikes are comfy for long distances. (My legs give out before my back or neck does).

That is not to say that a bike fit isn't a good idea but I would say that it sounds like you have fairly normal dimensions going by your height and inside legs, so plenty of off the peg bikes are designed with someone with your dimensions in mind.

I would guess about 54cm being a good starting point. But different frames are measured differently (i.e. centre of BB to top of top tube, to centre of top tube, to top of seat tube just for horizontal top tubes. Sloping top tubes can be different agin with either actual dimensions or effective dimensions (i.e. what the length would be IF IT HAD a horizontal top tube).

asterix

Comrade Member
Chris James said:
At the risk of being branded a 'casual' cyclist, I have never had a 'bike fit' and my bikes are comfy for long distances. (My legs give out before my back or neck does).

That is not to say that a bike fit isn't a good idea but I would say that it sounds like you have fairly normal dimensions going by your height and inside legs, so plenty of off the peg bikes are designed with someone with your dimensions in mind.

I would guess about 54cm being a good starting point. But different frames are measured differently (i.e. centre of BB to top of top tube, to centre of top tube, to top of seat tube just for horizontal top tubes. Sloping top tubes can be different agin with either actual dimensions or effective dimensions (i.e. what the length would be IF IT HAD a horizontal top tube).

Yes, I'm almost certainly not 'normal':sad::smile: But maybe it's normal not to be normal?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
A bike fitting is where they measure you and say what size they think you need based on your measurements.

Can't be done the other way round Young un :rolleyes:

------------------------------------------------

the only real way to find out what size bike you need is to try one for size. Its like shoes. you try on a pair, they're too big, you try another pair, too small, so you try another pair. just right . ;)

ASC1951

Guru
Chris James said:
It's fairly straighforward to get the right size of frame if you are a normal shape. That's the most expensive component, but it's only the beginning. The advantage of a fitting on a proper jig is that you can set up saddle height, bar width, reach, stem length, crank length - in fact all the variables. Yes, I know you can do this by trial and error, but that isn't easy when most of these factors affect each other and you can waste a lot of money on the way.

Top Bottom