quick gear question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheva

a bit of help needed please. I`m not very up on the technical side of things, but my gears seem to be "missing".when I pedal i seem to be spinning without actually catching a gear and this only remedies itself if i change down to a lower gear.
Is it just a case of the gears not being set up properly or what?
cheers in advance.

peanut

sounds like your gear setting is slightly out so instead ofthe chain sitting down into the cassette sprocket teeth, it is riding on the top of the sprocket teeth.
I would try setting it up again. If you need some help with that just shout ;)
let us know what type of bike and whichgearststem you have also

OP
OP
S

sheva

peanut said:
sounds like your gear setting is slightly out so instead ofthe chain sitting down into the cassette sprocket teeth, it is riding on the top of the sprocket teeth.
I would try setting it up again. If you need some help with that just shout ;)

that would seem to be exactly what it`s doing. how would i adjust them mate?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sit on the floor behind bike - look ans see if the mech jockey wheels are in line with the 'intended' sprocket' - if not, then turn the adjuster (where the cable goes into the mech) until they line up - try a little at a time.

What I do is stick my neck under the front of the saddle and lift the rear wheel, I can then use one hand to pedal, and the other to change gears. If it's still not working just turn the adjuster slightly to trim the mech, and try again.

peanut

yeah but just don't try adjusting it while cycling :biggrin::biggrin:

I usually turn my bike upside down in the kitchen and adjust there. Its nice and warm ;)

If it was working before it shouldn't need too much adjusting. you need to give us some basic info about your bike before we can help ie is it a road bike or MTB ? does it have Shimano or Campagnolo components ? STi ? Ergo? etc etc

OP
OP
S

sheva

peanut said:
yeah but just don't try adjusting it while cycling :wacko::biggrin:

I usually turn my bike upside down in the kitchen and adjust there. Its nice and warm :smile:

If it was working before it shouldn't need too much adjusting. you need to give us some basic info about your bike before we can help ie is it a road bike or MTB ? does it have Shimano or Campagnolo components ? STi ? Ergo? etc etc

hi mate. it`s a 14 speed carrera TDF road bike with shimano sora gears.
cheers.

edited to add, I`ve only had the bike three weeks. Is this something Halfords should do for me , or is it just a matter of adjusting it myself?
cheers.

peanut

If you have only had it 2 weeks then all that has happened is your cables have stretched a little and your gearsettings are slightly out. New cables always stretch a little at first.

The shop should have warned you about this and yes you could take it back for them to adjust.

I would ask them if they will show you how to adjust the gears so that if you need to you can do it yourself in future.
There should be no charge for re-adjusting your gears within a few weeks of purchase.

I can't believe that Halfords are still selling 7 speed gears which have been obsolete for at least 20 years.I didn't realise that Sora was 7 speed I thought the lowest was 8 speed? We are up to 11 speed now !...

OP
OP
S

sheva

Sorted, thanks for all your help. took it back to halfords and got a decent mechanic who knew what he was doing. adjusted gears for me, then showed me exactly what he did so I could adjust it myself in future. cheers.

peanut

sheva said:
Sorted, thanks for all your help. took it back to halfords and got a decent mechanic who knew what he was doing. adjusted gears for me, then showed me exactly what he did so I could adjust it myself in future. cheers.

no worries. Glad you came back and told us it was sorted.Happy cycling. be sure to come back from time to time and tell us how you are getting on;)

Top Bottom