Quick, lazy and stupid cleaning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My weekly cleaning routine.

Remove chain and soak in soapy water. Scrub with hard brush. Rinse and allow to dry.
Scrub the cassette and anything else drivetrain related. Using a small flat head screwdriver to get between the cogs.
Muc Off on rag and give the frame a quick wipe.
Check tyres for damage and remove any penetrable bits. Remove mudguards and spray with hose and scrub if required.
Check the brakes for wear and tighten.

GT85 the drivetrain and wipe off excess. Teflon based Lube and good to go.

Weekly? Jesus.

G2EWS

Some great advice here.

So from what I can see a good routine would be:

Muc-off
Hose down
Wipe or let dry
Spray chain and cogs with GT85
Wipe GT85 sprayed cloth over everything bar brakes and discs
Wipe off excess GT85 from chain and cogs

Best go and get some Muc-off and GT85!

Regards

Chris

Sara_H

Guru
I've got a similar question.

I've never really cleaned any of my bikes :blush:, but ater my last trip away along the Cinder Path between Scarborough and Whitby my bike was filthy. I washed most of it with a weak solution of washing up liquid, but I'm terrified of damaging chain, gears etc which I can see have got alot of gritty muck all over and I can now feel the difference when changing gear.

Some succint advice about cleaning and lubing this area would be appreciated.

I've got a similar question.

I've never really cleaned any of my bikes :blush:, but ater my last trip away along the Cinder Path between Scarborough and Whitby my bike was filthy. I washed most of it with a weak solution of washing up liquid, but I'm terrified of damaging chain, gears etc which I can see have got alot of gritty muck all over and I can now feel the difference when changing gear.

Some succint advice about cleaning and lubing this area would be appreciated.
I dont think washing your chain will do any damage when you consider the muck it picks up off the road. I just wash mine clean the chain sprayed with wd40, wipe off and lube (your choice what you lube, everyone has different advice on this.)

Top Bottom