Quick maintenance Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoons47

Good Evening All.
Hope everyone is having lovely weekend.
Really enjoyed reading replies on “Flapjack” and “Am I sad for having a mirror” threads.
Now for the serious stuff.
So I have had my new Hybrid for just under three weeks and have clocked up 200 miles, on 90% roads and smooth cycle paths (wish I had bought a road bike now!). Should I now be degreasing and lubing. I have armed myself with degreasing machine and Muc off dry and wet lube, I noticed today that couple of gears were noisy and changing from 5 to 6th on middle cog was quite clunky, also, I do enjoy the maintenance and cleaning side of the sport.
Apologies for elongated message but I do enjoy coming on the forum, gives me something to do, reading all the threads when I’m on 12 hour night shift. I realise there will be different opinions so I will read all replies and divide them by 6.77894 to calculate an average ^_^.
Thank you all in advance
Onwards and Upwards
Cheers
Simon

avsd

Guru
Too soon to degrease the chain. It comes with protective wax coating.

The gears are probably cable stretch. Normal behaviour on a new bike. The barrel adjuster needs a quarter turn. See https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=adjusting+bicycle+gears+shimano&ie=&oe=

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I would suggest that the noise from the gears is the cables settling in after first use, if you got it from a bike shop you will have a free six week service where they will give it the once over and make any adjustments.

Lube regimes change for riding style and environment There are loads of threads on the subject if you use the search function. What I will say is ditch the dry lube and just use wet all year.
Dry lube stops lubing very quickly and is next to useless.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like things might have gone out of adjustment. Hopefully your retailer has offered you a free service after a set period in which case just return it for attention. If not your LBS will sort it for you.
As for lube I use the Decathlon light oil but any is fine.

wisdom

Guru
Personally I would ditch the degreasing machine if it's the type the chain runs through.But that's my opinion.
If you look on here for the Mickle method it really works well.
As others have said your gear problem will be down to cables stretching and everything settling in.All will be well.I "Mickle" my chain every week as a minimum.More so in the winter wet commutes.

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

Personally I would ditch the degreasing machine if it's the type the chain runs through.But that's my opinion.
If you look on here for the Mickle method it really works well.
As others have said your gear problem will be down to cables stretching and everything settling in.All will be well.I "Mickle" my chain every week as a minimum.More so in the winter wet commutes.

Very interesting, thanks for that. I’ll give it a wipe tomorrow

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

I've always been told 100 miles or 4-6 weeks. Go to the shop, it's a 15 minute job to adjust the gears and check over

Thanks Vickster very reassuring. I should get a reply to my email tomorrow, it’s a 40 minute drive but will be worth it.

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

948C35B6-A4D1-4F39-B2E8-7447D7FC55C2.jpeg
D6524C7C-F7FA-4474-9439-63CC628AA821.jpeg
So service booked for Thursday, will be taking it to Wallington on the train and thanks to Vicksters light bulb moment, I will be cycling home to Crawley.
I’ve been tinkering with bike fit, I realise I’m stuck with the hybrid (should have put more thought in when I was buying) but thought I would try and make it more aero whilst still within the parameters of a correct bike fit. With that in mind can anybody give any thoughts to my leg angle in 2nd pic, do you think I should go tad higher with saddle? 1st pic is where I started and 2nd pic the finish.
Cheers
Si

vickster

Legendary Member
Nice hilly ride from Wallington to Crawley..enjoy ;)

Your knee looks pretty bent in the second pic and your arms look fairly straight?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes that’s why I want to position just right, do you think saddle tad higher? Maybe also handlebars up by 10 degrees?
Do your thighs or knees ache when you pedal. If so, your saddle is probably in the wrong position

What's that on the handlebars?

Top Bottom