Quick release wheel lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

curtis dorrington

ScotiaLass

Guru
Looks good Curtis - I'd certainly use something like this!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
[QUOTE 3309880, member: 45"]Is buying these cheaper than replacing the skewers with security ones?

Years ago one of our LBSs had a counter display of a QR which would only release if the bike was upside down. So if you locked the bike securely there was no way of getting the wheels off. Now that was novel.[/QUOTE]
Thats my initial thoughts , and
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zefal-Saddle-Wheels-Quicke-Release/dp/B001CR6PPE

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
As I said on the other post, there is a major flaw, a pair of mole grips will undo the skewer from other side, I tried it and the skewer was off in 17 seconds with the skewer in lock position, if the bike was stolen, then removal of the locks would be off in 30-60 secs without any damage to the bike.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 3309880, member: 45"]Is buying these cheaper than replacing the skewers with security ones?

Years ago one of our LBSs had a counter display of a QR which would only release if the bike was upside down. So if you locked the bike securely there was no way of getting the wheels off. Now that was novel.[/QUOTE]
I was shown that one too, I can't remember why I decided not to get that particular one, probably just because it wasn't stocked by my main LBS.

jnrmczip

think they are a good idea, although a bit of a novelty as if someone wants your wheel bad enough they will get it. and of they don't they will probably just smash it up trying . best trying to store your bike in a safe place at work and so on i think.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
think they are a good idea, although a bit of a novelty as if someone wants your wheel bad enough they will get it. and of they don't they will probably just smash it up trying . best trying to store your bike in a safe place at work and so on i think.
I have locking skewers as I lock my bike up in various places when I go shopping for example.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Now i am not knocking the OP at all , its a good idea but i only wondered how it offered any benefit over the products out there.
Now we know !
He can market is as an easily transferable security device :smile:

jnrmczip

I have locking skewers as I lock my bike up in various places when I go shopping for example.
I understand the need for bike security. But if someone wants your bike they will take it set of bolt cutters an angle grinder whatever they can use. Best approach I think is a tracker which means you can see where the bike is and easy to trace can be hidden in many places. The fact of the matter is its always going to be able to be stolen if they wanted it bad enough. so being able to track it may be the best option for recovery.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I understand the need for bike security. But if someone wants your bike they will take it set of bolt cutters an angle grinder whatever they can use. Best approach I think is a tracker which means you can see where the bike is and easy to trace can be hidden in many places. The fact of the matter is its always going to be able to be stolen if they wanted it bad enough. so being able to track it may be the best option for recovery.
Yes but locking skewers means it won't be a wheel that disappears and I can't be bother with carrying an additional lock for the wheels. It's a compromise between hassle and inconvenience for me, and making a thief decide that the next bike in the rack is easier pickings. After all if you are in a rack that is bursting with 30+ bikes in town then there is always going to be someone daft enough just to be using a cable lock, or have quick release wheels that aren't locked in any way which is what this is trying to prevent.

Top Bottom