Quick release

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

I wondered if someone could advise on the quick release lever on the hub of the front wheel.

the wheel took a knock when it was off the bike for (another) inner tube repair. The lever on the quick release bolts came away from the mechanism and so then did the cap that the lever goes through.

What had happened was that the small circlip that holds the lever through the cap had come away.

I found and closed up the circlip as much as possible with a pair of pliers and reassembled the quick release mechanism. The wheel is now fitted back on the bike and seems to be ok. Is the circlip there solely to hold the lever to the mechanism when the mechanism has been released, and am I right thinking that when the lever is closed to tighten mechanism the pressure of the mechanism holding together will prevent the lever from coming away? Just don't fancy having the wheel come off at any point.

Thanks

Rich

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
i would buy another QR lever just in case. Wouldn't trust one that had come apart. Better safe then sorry.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

ianrauk said:
i would buy another QR lever just in case. Wouldn't trust one that had come apart. Better safe then sorry.

Thanks for the advice, do you know if they are a standard fit, or will I need to replace the whole quick release assembly through the wheel? (skewer I think it's called, is that right?)

Landslide

Rare Migrant
The cam action of the QR should hold the skewer in place, but the lever'll be more susceptible to getting knocked out.
As Ian says, I'd get that replaced. QR skewers are generally only sold as complete units, but if you ask your LBS nicely, they may have an old one you can cannibalise for parts, or indeed a whole one in their spares box for chirpy-chirpy-cheep-cheep.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Thanks Landslide

I'll go to the lbs tonight and see what they've got

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A new QR is not expensive. yes they are a specific fit, dependent on what type of bike you have, road or mtb etc
When you speak to your lbs just ask if they have an old spare, they will probs give you for free if you are a regular customer

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

I will probably change them both, front and back if it's a simple job

I noticed the brand name on the QR lever was 'Joytech', not familier with the name but sounds like it came from a toyshop:wacko: didn't inspire me with confidence

gwhite

Über Member
Best buy Shimano as they have the best and safest design.

redjedi

Über Member
mr Mag00 said:
when fitted make sure both on same side and at same angle :sad:

:biggrin:

I thought the front one had to point directly back, and the rear one angled forward halfway between the seat/chain stay.

Or am I committing a major fashion faux pas?

Top Bottom