Quick releases, lawyers lips & the great British Public.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Great that so many people stopped to help. Must be scary for you as the leader of the group - no-one wants an emergency when they're in charge!
A bit odd that no-one else in your group noticed his absence - if I was riding in a group I'd hope that everyone was looking out for everyone else.
GWS to the injured rider.
In my ladies group we usually ride one leader in front one in the back if it's anything more than half dozen riders.
In a large group being the only leader is too much responsibility imo.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
GWS to the injured rider.
In my ladies group we usually ride one leader in front one in the back if it's anything more than half dozen riders.
In a large group being the only leader is too much responsibility imo.

we were a group of 8

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
Ahh quick release. Great fun when they snap off for no apparent reason - especially after being checked before a ride. I've never wheeled a bike home with the front wheel lashed to the rack before - the only time I wished I didn't have a heavy MTB!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
P1030697.JPG

I guess it's the blame culture in the US but my Schwinn has these neat little pressings that go around the hub and locate on two small self tapping screws on the fork blades. Even if the q/r is not done up the wheel cannot come out.

As regards the helmet - this is a classic case where the helmet, and it's use / non-use is a bit of a red herring

The cause of the accident is clear, and avoidable

The lesson to be learnt is NOT to wear a a helmet, but to ensure that your bike is maintained well, and carry out simple cursory checks before each ride

View attachment 26751

I guess it's the blame culture in the US but my Schwinn has these neat little pressings that go around the hub and locate on two small self tapping screws on the fork blades. Even if the q/r is not done up the wheel cannot come out.

I can see why that arrangement has been devised, but it does kind of defeat the object of the "quick release", doesn't it ?:smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I can see why that arrangement has been devised, but it does kind of defeat the object of the "quick release", doesn't it ?:smile:

They are not held on by the self tappers, you just flick them over the screw head.

Top Bottom