Quick update on Raleigh Sirocco

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been struggling to ride this since I put it together: the bar tape, though pretty was not very comfy, and I was struggling with the DT shifters - again, so I've done a bit of a modernisation job on it.
Before:
IMAG0128_zpsuxtioczj.jpg

After:
IMAG0148_zpsop6ambsu.jpg

Now sporting modern cork tape - so much nicer, and Microshift 7 speed brake shifters. The shifters are not the prettiest brake levers in the world I'd be the first to admit, and being black don't totally go with the rest of the colour scheme, but they'll do 'til some nicer ones turn up.
However the rideability of the machine has increased by quite a lot! Took it for a quick shakedown and cable stretch on Sunday and ended up doing 10 miles, I've not ridden it further than a mile before
IMAG0150_zps9dshcpyb.jpg

IMAG0145_zpsjdozq3wl.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
very nice

OP
OP
mikeymustard
No, the front is a nice 600 hub with mavic rim built by Mercian, but the rear one is a cheapo job (the matching one to the front is currently having some work done)

ChrisEyles

Guru
That's a lovely looking bike! That red bar tape is a perfect match for the frame. Shame you didn't get on with the friction shifters but the new ones look good to me.

OP
OP
mikeymustard
I can just about cope with dt shifters on my claud majestic, I think because I can get away with not changing so much and find I'm happily bumbling along in a lower gear, but this bike definitely wants me to go quicker all the time which requires lots of changes to keep the cadence up - or something! I've mentioned it before but I only discovered brake shifters a couple of years ago so it doesn't seem right that I'm having trouble, but I definitely don't feel safe

ChrisEyles

Guru
Fair enough! I run a very wide spaced five speed freewheel on my DT friction shifting bike, so I'm not constantly shifting gears, just have to change my cadence a little. On a close spaced racing cassette I can imagine it must be pretty nice to blast away with the brifters (and keep your hands nearer the brakes!).

Top Bottom