Quicker commute times?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I've noticed my commute times reduce significantly in the last couple of weeks. A 58/59 minute journey nows takes 54/55 mins. Same bike, same terrain, same legs.

Can it really be the warm temperatures = thinner air = reduced wind resistance?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Maybe, but I think it's summer fitness. I ride less in the winter, mostly because my work is weather dependent, and I can do more lessons in the light evenings. My average speed has gone up considerably in the last few weeks.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Moodyman said:
I've noticed my commute times reduce significantly in the last couple of weeks. A 58/59 minute journey nows takes 54/55 mins. Same bike, same terrain, same legs.

I am the same. normally in the summer the wind is less and wearing less clothing has got to help as well.

Thinner air and reduced wind resistance doesn't sound right to me, but then, what do I know. If the air were thinner then you'd be getting less oxygen from it too.

Maybe you don't need as long to warm up as your muscles are already warm?

I'm quicker than I was in the winter but I put that down to having been riding all winter and being fitter than I was when I started taking notice of such things last autumn

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Like you I *can* cycle much faster in the summer, probably because I ride more and get fitter (I put in a personal best a week or so ago myself)

but

I tennd to want to ride much slower, the pleasant weather and fantastic scenery (i ride through Hyde park, the Mall, constitution hill, St James park, alog th and over the thames at Westminster) all contribute to make me want to ride slower and enjoy the experience.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I have high hopes for my commuting times in the near future.

After a temporary case of left Achilles tendon soreness (now on the mend), which had me skip my weekend riding for a while (although I continued my 10 x 1-hour weekday commutes), I decided to get SPD pedals + cleats for the first time! :smile:

I've used them 2 days so far this week, and I think my commuting average speed is about to go up. I like the way the pedals + cleats stabilise my feet and free me from worrying about my foot slipping off in the rain, and I also find pedalling up hills easier.

The only drama so far has been clipping in; most times I got it right, but yesterday at a set of red traffic lights (naturally on the busiest section of my commute :laugh:), I found myself spending next few hundred metres trying to clip in the other foot; I must have looked really silly. Unclipping is a lot easier.

Regards,

--- Victor.

al78

Guru
Moodyman said:

Air pressure is proportional to density x temperature so for a given atmospheric pressure if the temperature rises the density and thus air resistance decreases.

In addition, you will wear less clothes when the temperature rises which further reduces the drag plus a small amount of weight.

Oh, and warm muscles work better than cold muscles.

Top Bottom