Quicker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im currently commuting to work on a mountain bike with schwalbe city jet tyres but was thinking of upgrading to a road bike.

How much quicker would a road bike be than my current bike and is it worth upgrading or best to save the money and stick to my mountain bike with the slick tyres?

Thanks

It's not going to make a huge amount of difference, so basically... do what you want.

If you want to justify your purchase to your wife, then it will save you loads of time which you can spend with her.

What distance are you doing?

drsquirrel said:
If you want to justify your purchase to your wife, then it will save you loads of time which you can spend with her.

What distance are you doing?

Ha Ha thats what im trying to do! I really want a specialized Allez but i keep getting the usual moans, its a waste of money you've already got one bike blah blah!

Its 10 miles there 10 miles back

shippers

I went from an Apollo hybrid to a Giant (£475) road bike and it knocked my commute from 1 hour 15 to 1 hour. I also got there less knackered and was able to comute evry day.
Do it.

Look fr a bike to work scheme though

If you have a full sus then that will suck some power out of you (if you keep on it, lock it out or as hard as possible).

Or, just tell her to stfu you're the one going to work...

What sort of time does it take you?

Or, suggest you might as well just use the car... and that you cannot afford <something she often buys> any more because of rising fuel costs.

I don't think us telling you "a bit faster" is going to be what convinces her...

Its been taking about 45 minutes on my mountain bike.

Im definetly looking at getting it on a c2w scheme.

My bike has front suspension which you can tighten to a degree but i can already feel when im riding, all the bouncing up and down is wasting so much energy.

gavintc

Guru
Get the double, triples are for old men.;)

For a 20 mile commute, you will notice a difference. It will be more comfortable, faster, responsive and most important - more fun.

Waspie

Über Member
I love my mountain bike but wouldn't want to commute on it. A road bike is much better and your commute is long enough to see the benefit. Agree with Gavin, no need for a triple! ;)

Front suspension shouldn't matter.

I don't do a huge amount slower on my old full sus (on slicks), and I do under 35min for 17km on my commute, only a few minutes more on the full, although the weight (an extra 4kg) does make it feel harder, I don't bother going around the tiniest rut in the road though.

If you can get one on c2w, then definitely, then you can pay it off interest free, if your missus has any store cards... start whining about that ;)

Wobblers

Euthermic
I have an old rigid mtb with slicks, a hub-geared hybrid and an old Galaxy tourer. The hybrid is about 1 mph faster than the mtb and the Galaxy's a good 2-3 mph faster than the hybrid. A road bike will make a difference. If your commute takes 45 minutes I guess a road bike would shave 5 to 10 minutes off your time. And be more fun!

P.S: nothing wrong with getting a triple: it's always nice knowing you have the granny ring to bail out on if that hill seems steeper or that headwind stronger...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
gavintc said:
Get the double, triples are for old men.:ohmy:

For a 20 mile commute, you will notice a difference. It will be more comfortable, faster, responsive and most important - more fun.
Apart from the bit about 'Triples being for old men' I agree... I'm 47 if that matters and ride a triple (or a fixed wheel) ... :wacko::thumbsup:

Top Bottom