Quicklinks & compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have just fitted a new KMC 10spd chain to one of my bikes. Can't get the provided quicklink thing to fasten, for love nor money. I had a spare old 10spd quicklink from a different chain in the spares box (think it might be from a Mavic chain). It went on first time and the chain seems to run through the drive ok when I turn the cranks by hand. Will this be ok, given that it's the same speed rating but a different brand and design or am I likely to have problems?

Cheers

Given that chains are pretty much interchangeable then the individual links should be as well

I have always carried on as a spare, and have used these as a replacement on several occasions with no regard to speed or make.

One has been in place for many miles.

HovR

Über Member
I'd imagine it'd be fine. I use Clarks quick links, as they're readily available cheaply from the nearby Halfords, and they haven't caused any issues on any of the wide range of chains I have fitted them to so far.

Gary E

Veteran
The ten speed ones can be a pig to clip together sometimes and you shouldn't use them more than once.

I use one of these to fit the link. Not to be confused with one of these which is for removing them.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The ten speed ones can be a pig to clip together sometimes and you shouldn't use them more than once.

I use one of these to fit the link. Not to be confused with one of these which is for removing them.

Okay, now I'm worried... the one I fitted has been used once already. Can't remember for how long mind you. Why do you say they shouldn't be used more than once? What's the worst that could happen... I don't have dental insurance :wacko:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Okay, now I'm worried... the one I fitted has been used once already. Can't remember for how long mind you. Why do you say they shouldn't be used more than once? What's the worst that could happen... I don't have dental insurance :wacko:

Just normal wear and tear SD. Just best to change when changing chains.

HovR

Über Member
I believe it's the SRAM powerlock that is only designed for one use. Most others are re-usable, and it'll almost certainly be fine - But no harm can come from changing it when you get a new chain.

Gary E

Veteran
Sorry didn't mean to worry you. I've read lots of opinions on whether it's OK to reuse them. Some say yes, some say no.
I do know that they're quite tight to fit the first time you use them but that if you try to re-use them they become easier.
The fact that they're easier makes me wonder if they're as secure when re-used.
My opinion (and I certainly don't mean to insist that I'm right here) is that it's better to put a fresh one on each time.
Just peace of mind really I suppose.

HovR

Über Member
Agreed, I suppose... would prefer to use a new one. Shame I don't have any of those fancy tools, to hand!

When fitting new quick links, I semi-fasten them on the top section of chain, so they're ready to click in to place when force is applied - And then I apply the brakes so the bike doesn't move, and with the bike positioned next to a wall I can hold on to, I attempt to pedal forward with the brakes still on so the bike doesn't move.

This normally provides enough force for the quick link to click in to place. Admittedly this isn't with a 10 speed quick link, so it may work differently.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I might give that a go HovR. It seems to just pop off when I tried to fasten it fully though. I can't see any evidence of either of the plates being bent or anything... very odd.

Top Bottom