Quieter Turbo Trainers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Losidan

Hi there,

I remember years ago having a turbo trainer and it was a right noisy brute...Are the ones these days much quieter...Alternatively are those rollers which are shaped to make it harder to run off any good?

Thanks

gbb

Legendary Member
I have a Cycleops mag trainer Losidan..its quiet. A gentle hum, thats all, not intrusive in any way.

i've been looking at the cycleops fluid 2. is this quiet? don't want neighbours to get annoyed :becool:

decided on a trainer for the coming winter. this will be my first trainer so any advice appreciated :tongue:

jasonmccullum

Über Member
i just bought a Cycleops magneto second hand for £60. It is really really quiet. In fact the noise of the chain moving on the bike makes more noise.

Chris James

Über Member
I'm a bit baffled by this as I have the exact same turbo and when I am going for it during intervals then it sounds like jumbo taking off!

The wife has commented on its noise when I was outside in a detached garage and our house is double glazed.

gbb

Legendary Member
Chris James said:
I'm a bit baffled by this as I have the exact same turbo and when I am going for it during intervals then it sounds like jumbo taking off!

The wife has commented on its noise when I was outside in a detached garage and our house is double glazed.

Perhaps i'm not trying hard enough Chris ;):biggrin:

I agree it get noisier the harder you push, but i dont really do that...more just plod along trying to re-create a normal ride for me which is a steady pace.

Surely you must really have to push on to make it noisy....i've never found mine noisy :smile: I set mine up in the living room and the wife and i watch tv..it doesnt effect our ability to hear the tv at all.

Chris James

Über Member
I think my old winter tyres might be noisy too!

Turbos are it pretty dull so I can only force myself to use it if I do intervals to keep up the interest.

The worst noise was when I tried the Tabata protocol (20 secs flat out, 10 secs recovery .. repeat). I think you are supposed to do 8 reps but I lasted about three. It was far to hard for me.

gbb said:
Perhaps I'm not trying hard enough Chris ;):biggrin:

I agree it get noisier the harder you push, but i dont really do that...more just plod along trying to re-create a normal ride for me which is a steady pace.

Surely you must really have to push on to make it noisy....i've never found mine noisy :tongue: I set mine up in the living room and the wife and i watch tv..it doesnt effect our ability to hear the tv at all.

this sounds good to me. don't think i'll be going mad on mine, just enough to keep my fitness up over the winter.
i was looking at the fluid 2. do you think there is justification in the price difference?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I use a Minoura rim drive model, which seems lots quieter than any tyre drive I've tried. You can still make it rev up of course, but it does take some effort. Bear in mind my head is less than a foot from the rear wheel...

Top Bottom