Quill stem (with a cone)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've just bought a 1975 Hercules Balmoral with a quill stem. Instead of the usual wedge there is a cone that forces it's way into a split in the stem. There is no minimum insertion mark.

Is this normal with this type of quill stem? Could I get away with one inch above the split being the minimum insertion point?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is this normal with this type of quill stem? Could I get away with one inch above the split being the minimum insertion point?

I wouldn't want to risk it unless that left at least 2 inches (preferably nearer 3 inches?) inside the steerer.

The price of a failure would be too high. :eek:

Big John

Guru
I've had a couple of these over the years. I'm not sure if there are any hard and fast rules if there's no limit markings but an inch doesn't sound much. Mine have always had the limit marks on the stem. Not much help, sorry, but I'd go more than an inch if it was me.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
I wouldn't want to risk it unless that left at least 2 inches (preferably nearer 3 inches?) inside the steerer.

The price of a failure would be too high. :eek:

The split is about 2 inches long? Perhaps that's why there is no minimum insertion point?

tyred

Legendary Member
I always keep at least two inches inside the stem.

I suppose it would depend on riding style but if you tend to pull up on the bars on big climbs like me I wouldn't risk any less than two inches.

ColinJ

Sheldon Brown said this... HERE.

Once the stem is loose in the steerer, you can raise or lower it, and rotate it from side to side. If you decide to raise it, it is important that you don't overdo it. If you raise the stem too high, so that there's not sufficient length remaining inside the steerer, you might find the whole handlebar assembly disconnecting from the bike--your life will pass before your eyes and down you'll go! Most stems have a "minimum insertion" mark that shows how high they may safely be set. If you can see this mark, the stem is too high. If your stem doesn't have such a mark, a good rule of thumb is that there should be at least 2 inches/50 mm of stem inside the fork.

ColinJ

The expander version must be at least as critical, if not more?! :whistle:

As @tyred posted above, having any of the split showing sounds like A Very Bad Idea...

Measure from the bottom of the split stem tube!

It sounds like you are desperate to get the bars higher... Why not just buy a new stem? I was looking at long quill stems for a couple of days ago. I saw a few that could have up to 8 inches of stem showing and cost less than £20.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
The expander version must be at least as critical, if not more?! :whistle:

As @tyred posted above, having any of the split showing sounds like A Very Bad Idea...

Measure from the bottom of the split stem tube!

It sounds like you are desperate to get the bars higher... Why not just buy a new stem? I was looking at long quill stems for a couple of days ago. I saw a few that could have up to 8 inches of stem showing and cost less than £20.

Thanks - but if I measure from the bottom of the stem then my current one is long enough.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Keep as much as possible in the tube especially do not have any of the split showing.
Personally I would replace the stem with one for the required height while retaining a large amount in the tube.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom