Quill to 1 1/8" riser adapter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazK

Veteran
I've got a 1970s Dawes Kingpin which I'm converting to a fun/fast/practical beater bike. The steerer has a 22mm inside diameter just like all other bikes of its era, with a quill stem fitted, but for practical reasons I'd like to fit a section of 1 1/8" steerer above the existing steerer and then fit an aheadset stem.
steer adapter007.jpg

Does anyone know whether the adapter I've sketched below exists, and if so where I can buy one? Google isn't giving me any love.

OP
OP
GazK

GazK

Veteran
below, above, whateva...

OP
OP
GazK

GazK

Veteran
Adrian, I thought the first reply would be to something like that. No, the problem is I need at least a foot of riser before I fit a stem - this is what we're talking about:

DSC_0438.JPG

The thing I've drawn would fit into the steerer (just above where the white QR lever is) and provide a clamp for a length of 1 1/8" ally tube, with the stem clamped about a foot up. Your adapter would put the bars too low - I'm not going to be time trialling on this thing!

OP
OP
GazK

GazK

Veteran
No problem Adrian, it's a pretty obscure query. Andrew, I couldn't shim even if I wanted to, the riser I want to fit (28.5mm) is bigger than the hole (22mm), hence the need for an adapter!

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Neil,

I need about 9" of rise above the top of the steerer so that type of extender doesn't look like it provides enough rise.

I reckon I'm going to end up doing something like this:

http://raleightwenty.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=177554939
That looks kinda cool...

fossala

Guru
I can send you one for just postage, I removed it a week ago to put a quill stem back in. PM me your address.

EDIT: Picture of item
LKAt0sA.jpg

EDIT2: Sorry realize mine isn't big enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GazK

GazK

Veteran
Fossala, if that is a quill to 1" aheadset adapter (rather than 1 1/8") then I'll take you up on your kind offer, because the mod I posted in the link above needs exactly that part for it to work. Now I just need to source a shim and some Reynolds tubing(!). PM me?

Top Bottom