Quirky stuff on Maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I'm a big fan of anything quirky and have a love of maps, with a tendency to trawl through Google Maps before any new holiday or cycling adventure. It's amazing how much really quirky stuff there is out there to be discovered if you look hard enough. Before setting off for my current holiday in Scotland, driving up the East coast and staying in Moray, I spotted a couple more.

Old Slains Castle in Aberdeenshire appears on Google Maps as "Old Slains Castle (Not Dracula Castle)". Quite glad to hear that. No need to pack the garlic or the wooden stake.

The other one I spotted was a pinned site way out in the sticks of Moray between Keith and Buckie, labelled "Yellow Pencil" and described as a "Tourist Attraction", inviting reviews. We went for a wander today and came across the thing at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.
IMG_0892.JPG

Not quite sure how I would review it, as I was neither overwhelmed nor underwhelmed by it. It's just a big pencil. Is "whelmed" a thing?

Also spotted a wonderfully named place on an Explorer map the other day called "Wife O'Beath" near Garmouth, but was disappointed to find when I cycled there that there was no place sign. Anyone else spotted any quirky stuff on maps that needs investigating?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Maybe follow up your pencil with this...

spoon.JPG

Emanresu

Also spotted a wonderfully named place on an Explorer map the other day called "Wife O'Beath" near Garmouth, but was disappointed to find when I cycled there that there was no place sign. Anyone else spotted any quirky stuff on maps that needs investigating?

My OH is from near there. They make a mean potato wine which blows your head off. There is also do a nice line in 'red cod' which tastes very much like salmon to me.

Alex H

Legendary Member
Maybe follow up your pencil with this...

View attachment 730993

Spooky - was reading @Donger's original post and immediately thought of this.

Top Bottom