R.I.P. Capt. Rick Jolly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
He was a top bloke, I bought Jackspeak whilst I was in and had it signed by him. One of the good guys

Ajax Bay

Guru
Rick Jolly was a larger than life character who commanded the Commando Logistic Regiment Royal Marines Medical Squadron and set up and ran the hospital at Ajax Bay* , augmented by Royal Navy Surgical Support Teams, 2 and 3 PARA's medical support element (hence the 'Red and Green Life Machine') and, when they got there, Army Field Ambulance personnel and surgeons. Brave, capable, civilised, funny, and inspiring. Well played, shipmate. You have crossed the bar.

* See avatar image for Ajax Bay sheep shearing sheds / field hospital. Unexploded bomb in roofspace and POW 'cage' right behind.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Taken from wiki.

Jolly was appointed as an Oficial (Officer) in the Order of May in recognition of his outstanding work in saving the lives of many wounded Argentine soldiers and airmen.

As it was a foreign decoration, Jolly had to write to her Majesty the Queen for permission to wear his Order of May award with his other medals, to which her Majesty personally responded by authorizing him to wear the award "on all occasions" on behalf of the three hundred British Naval, Royal Marines and Army medics involved in the war.

subaqua

What’s the point
I first came across the name while doing research on the 82 conflict in 1986 for a history project in secondary school .

Last year when I read Down South ( Chris Parry ) and Scram ( Harry Benson) his name popped up and I re read his book ( diary of the conflict)

Fair wind , Flat seas . Sir .

Top Bottom