R.I.P. Colin Powell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
I wonder if he can convince a higher authority that WMD were in Iraq,one day Bush and Blair might share the same cell in hell.

I wonder if he can convince a higher authority that WMD were in Iraq,one day Bush and Blair might share the same cell in hell.

I didn't agree with the war and pretty sick of the UK jumping when the US asks but the US not having anywhere near the same support for the UK however surely the track record of Iraq shows WMD were likely at the time based on their lack of allowed checks and their previous use of chemical weapons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction

I never understood the WMD debate based on the evidence but I still don't think the UK should have supported the US in such numbers, maybe a small force like many other countries contributed.

Both Bush and Blair will simply cease to exist just like the rest of us at the end of their life.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Gents, chill. While I agree with that the Bush/Blair double act should be held to account, please just pay your respects to a war hero and decent gentleman who managed to get through his life with no personal scandals or filth coming to the fore.

If you want to moan about other matters then the phantom zone is the place to be.

Powell was unusual in many way. Black and the youngest person to be appointed Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff at age 52. Again unusual was the pronunciation of his name Colin as in "Kohlin". He was a moderate and well respected Secretary of State. Despite being a Republican he endorsed Obama.

He however left more than a blemish when he addressed the UN Security Council and gave the WMD speech in 2003. It was based on false intelligence from an Iraq refugee in Germany. This was instrumental in the Allies falling in line as well as the public sitting on the fence. The saddest part was he convening the Intelligence lot for one last meeting in his NY Hotel prior to the UN speech. He had doubts and needed convincing. Yet he ended up giving the most convincing speech of any of that era.

Saddam has used chemicals and biological agents such as Anthrax for many years that it was almost taken as a given. This was despite Hans Blix, the UN's chief weapons inspector saying otherwise. And the Inspection Team was made up of Australians, British and even Americans. This has always been America's folly - the World in their view is between the Golden Gate Bridge and the Brooklyn Bridge and nothing else matters.

He goes to his grave with much respect but he will carry this blemish to it as well.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The National Security Advisor is responsible for the integrity of intelligence presented to the cabinet, including that given to the Secretary of State.

He may have had doubts, but Dr Blix was but one strand of intellgence presented to the cabinet at that time. He also never posted on the Phantom Zone, which is where this line of discussion should be.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Powell admitted he got the WMD thing wrong. He called it a blot on his career. I can't think of any other person in a senior governmental postion who made that admission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom