R.I.P. Haynes manuals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought they'd finished a few years ago.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Cars used to be home-mechanic fixable. Now they're mostly plugged into a computer to tell the 'mechanic' what needs to be changed - not repaired, changed out.
Haynes manuals told you how to strip the car right down if you felt so inclined.
I had the inclination but neither the tools, facilities nor confidence to do it. :sad:

kynikos

Veteran
They were great - and essential when I had my first car which had a service interval of 3 months or 3,000 miles and rarely made it to either without needing something doing. In stark contrast to my current steed which, in 7 years of ownership (annual service), has required nothing other than one top up of the coolant - and I don't need a Haynes manual to show me how to do that.

Over the years cars have become more like washing machines: you buy one and it just works.

Surprised that they did not relocate to the virtual world. A Haynes Youtube channel woukd be killer.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Maybe it was just me, but I was not totally happy with them. You often have 15 pages showing how to remove a single simple bolt and then they would skip over the actual complicated bit where instruction was needed. I found the other technical manuals available much more useful.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I own two.
One for the series 3 Landrover and another for the 90/110/Defender. Still refer to the latter occasionally if adjusting the tappets or changing the timing belt, while the former will be invaluable for the inevitable series project that is bound to crop up at some point.......

Both are complete with grubby, oily finger prints :smile:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm not mechanically minded enough to have ever needed one but I have fond memories of my mechanic step dad having a raft of them, and I loved the colour pictures in the first few pages showing the different variants of the car. I loved them even if I didn't understand them.
"Of an age" I think is the right phrase for them.

I'm not mechanically minded enough to have ever needed one but I have fond memories of my mechanic step dad having a raft of them, and I loved the colour pictures in the first few pages showing the different variants of the car. I loved them even if I didn't understand them.
"Of an age" I think is the right phrase for them.

Still available in a charity shop near you. Probably easier to buy the book then buy a car it fits, than vice versa.

Top Bottom