R.I.P. Jeffrey Archer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
. On a cycling note, his meeting with members of a Clarion Club as part of this series, a cycling organisation routed in Socialist ideology, showed mutual respect despite polar oppposite political views, with the conflicts of opinion taken in good humour.
I'd like to see that! Got a link, or any other signposts? (I generally find travelogues very dull, and he's always seemed nice-but-dull to me - YMMV!)
 

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'd like to see that! Got a link, or any other signposts? (I generally find travelogues very dull, and he's always seemed nice-but-dull to me - YMMV!)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0700z75

The actual slot is slightly longer, but looks like the episode isn't currently available on catchup / iPlayer.
 
Last edited:

Jameshow

Guru
Many politians are very amiable when you speak to them personally, which is, I guess, one the most important elements of the job spec, although some, I hear, come across as really nasty pieces of work. Archer? Never met him, but he clearly had a level of charisma that is well beyond that of a normal person. How else could he have bagged the job, wife and mistresses that were clearly well beyond his upbringing?

But Michael Portillo, on the other hand, seems like a genuinely nice guy, despite his political reputation. His Railway Journeys TV series shows him happy and willing to put those he meets front and central on the camera and in the narative, rather than as a stooge for his own personality. On a cycling note, his meeting with members of a Clarion Club as part of this series, a cycling organisation routed in Socialist ideology, showed mutual respect despite polar oppposite political views, with the conflicts of opinion taken in good humour.

People also change and mellow with time. Perhaps his imprisonment and subsequent becoming a Christian changed him?
 
Truely one of the greatest typists of his generation.
 
Top Bottom