R.I.P. Jim Bowen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Crikey. RIP.

Lived near us for awhile and used to play in the nearby Inn at Redwell which he apparently used to co-own. He was a jazz trumpeter IIRC. Way before my time of course. That was in the 60s when that pub was a happening venue in the area.

I know someone obsessed by him as a kid, full fan club member for years apparently. He certainly has his fans.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Bit of a local face, having lived in the villages in the Lune Valley for years. In Melling he was often spotted mowing his lawn or tending the garden when driving/cycling through.

edit... and a quick glance at his wiki page confirms that he was a teacher at Caton Primary School (the village i'm originally from)... always thought that was a bit of local BS.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Taken from Wikipedia.
"Bowen was born in Heswall, Wirral, Cheshire, and was adopted by Joe and Annie Whittaker of Clayton-le-Moors, Lancashire[4](who changed his name to James Whittaker).[5] He was educated at Accrington Grammar School in Lancashire."

Clayton's one mile from here and obviously "Accy Grammer" was in Accrington.
I saw him once in Blackburn town centre,during his Radio Lancashire(which is based in Blackburn)days.Like all the "celebes" i bump into:rolleyes:,i didn't say anything to him,as i suppose it must get a bit annoying being famous and many folk hassling you,even if it is in a friendly way.

Jody

Stubborn git
When he came out with classics like “are you sure you want to gamble? 30 quid is a lot for you Scotts” :unsure:

Colin_P

Guru
As a kid, late Sunday after the roast (dinner for the posh) bit of Bully and when it finished out into the garage to see if me and my brother could get 101 or more with six darts. Sometimes we won the imaginary speed boat but most of the time we didn't.

Jim was a legend. Wonder if he had a speedboat?

Top Bottom