R.I.P. Jimmy Greaves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A really great player and a gentleman.
I saw him play for Spurs many times as a kid, and then at Barnet for a couple of seasons from 1977-1979

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My earliest memory of Jimmy Greaves, 1:05 into this clip -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFrAW4U9o18

My grandad being a Burnley fan went to that game.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Quite surprised no mention on the forum that another great striker passed away recently. Roger Hunt of Liverpool and England.

Another brilliant forward and apparently all round good guy I remember from my youth. It was only on reading of his death I realised he was 16 years older than me. He would have been 28 when I first took interest in professional football.

Arguably one of Liverpool's greatest players in an outstanding team.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Quite surprised no mention on the forum that another great striker passed away recently. Roger Hunt of Liverpool and England.

Another brilliant forward and apparently all round good guy I remember from my youth. It was only on reading of his death I realised he was 16 years older than me. He would have been 28 when I first took interest in professional football.

Arguably one of Liverpool's greatest players in an outstanding team.
Sure there was/is an RIP for him.......

Dolorous Edd

RIP Roger Hunt, of course, but I heard a lovely little Jimmy Greaves quote the other day.

He was asked whether he had ever suffered from a goal drought, and replied "Yes - it was the worst 15 minutes of my life"

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Or possibly they had second thoughts about tackling him when he didn't have the ball. :rolleyes:

There is that, although I think the point is the ball was there to be taken away, had the defenders watched the ball, rather than being mesmerised by Greaves, it would have been easy to gain possession.

RIP Roger Hunt, of course, but I heard a lovely little Jimmy Greaves quote the other day.

He was asked whether he had ever suffered from a goal drought, and replied "Yes - it was the worst 15 minutes of my life"

Greaves also made a quip during the first televised live game from White Hart Lane.

The host, might have been Brian Moore, said they'd been well looked after as guests of Spurs.

Greaves said he'd been a guest of the club in the penalty area for years.

Top Bottom