R.I.P. Mad Mike Hoare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Mad Mitch, shurely?

Edit My mistake, Mad Mitch died 24 years ago, never heard of this other guy, but both military types I see.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I remember his name from my younger years, there was quite a thing with mercenaries in Africa at that time. Lots of mercenary fiction books at the time too.

classic33

Leg End Member
The Wild Geese

Brains

Legendary Member
I remember his name from my younger years, there was quite a thing with mercenaries in Africa at that time. Lots of mercenary fiction books at the time too.

... and lots of jobs for ex British Army who were moved into places and then became freelance, so off the Army books and paid for by another entity, but they used British Army kit, rank, and most importantly backup when it all went wrong.

In effect it was like a company today making half the staff 'contractors',
nothing changes except they can deny your existence and you get paid twice as much.

My dad did it for a decade back in 1966-1976
Made enough money to buy a house and retire to Cornwall on his return aged 47 and his Army pension kicked in at 50.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
... and lots of jobs for ex British Army who were moved into places and then became freelance, so off the Army books and paid for by another entity, but they used British Army kit, rank, and most importantly backup when it all went wrong.

In effect it was like a company today making half the staff 'contractors',
nothing changes except they can deny your existence and you get paid twice as much.

My dad did it for a decade back in 1966-1976
Made enough money to buy a house and retire to Cornwall on his return aged 47 and his Army pension kicked in at 50.
Yep, if I'd been old enough back then I'd have been well at it. I've done some contracting but only relatively safe BG stuff, not combat ops.

Top Bottom