R.I.P. R Lee Ermey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The actor that played Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket has died, aged 74. The story goes he was hired as a technical advisor on FMJ, having served in the marines as a real drill pig. He then suggested to Kubrick that he could play the part of Hartman. Kubrick refused, and Ermey launched into an uninterrupted 10 minute tirade of abuse at Kubrick's face. Once he finally run out of steam Kubrick hired him on the spot to play Hartman.

From there he had a successful and award finning film career, and even fronted a documentary series about military weapons.

Because of his work promoting the military in general and the marines in particular, he was honouraily promoted post retirement from staff sergeant to gunnery sergeant, the only person every to be bestowed the honour in the US.

Sadly passed away from complications arising from pneumonia.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
He was simpmy brilliant in FMJ.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, he made the film. To be fair, he wasn't that far removed from my first drill pig, the delightful Sergeant Salter, known as Sgt Slaughter to us.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The man responsible for introducing the "Read Around*" to the film-going public.

*Reach Around.

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
?

Your autocorrect has created a bizarre image in my head now...
Oh crivens! I'll leave it but add a correction. OSX's autocorrect is really beginning to grip my colon. Time for the off-switch......

Ther. Spel chek disalbed so shudent hav a problam noww.

Top Bottom