R.I.P. Sir Roger Moore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Years ago there was a cod Japanese programme on channel 4 playing various pranks on celebrities. One of the pranks was "lady one question" a Japanese lady seemingly with poor English who would ask one question and then see how long the celebrity would speak before walking off or getting embarrassed. Moore duly answered then surmising the interviewer was nervous or inexperienced carried on a bit, then either realising he'd been pranked or the girl had completely messed up managed to terribly politely round off the "interview", thanked her, and went on his way. Even when he'd been had he exuded effortless charm, good manners and consideration for a fellow performer apparently coming unstuck. What a gent

View: https://youtu.be/mdIOshrhvGw

Yep, pure class.
That Banzai programme was very of its time, and seems dated now.

byegad

Legendary Member
Sad to lose him.
He was far more versatile than many credited him, 'being able to raise either eyebrow alone or both together'. He had a strong sense of his own 'talents' and the absurdity of earning a living pretending to be somebody else. He never seemed to be precious about his art neither did he expect anyone to take him seriously. A real gentleman actor, sadly gone. I remember him in Ivanhoe, The Saint, and many more series on TV before becoming a quintessential James Bond with the ability to ham up the absurd stories the writers landed him with. Those 007 movies are a joy to watch!

Tin Pot

Guru
Loved Roger Moore and his bond - learned to move my eyebrows independently when I was a kid because of him and it still entertains people now ;)

Great entertainer.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Goodbye Mr Bond. When she was a young girl living in Kent, my mum worked part time in the village shop. She remembers Roger Moore buying things just as his career was getting going. Apparently, he was very polite then as well.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
roger moore.jpg
I used to really like The Saint.
He was a knitwear model earlier in his career. I think it was Dame Edna who teased him about it once but I may be wrong.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I also loved The Saint. Not a great actor but an icon.

Does make you wonder though. You give someone a knighthood and they go and live in Monaco, ah well.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
He was indeed a knitwear model, very briefly. He'd done a few minor acting roles and the work dried up, so he took the modelling job. At least he didn't end up on Play School pulling funny faces like Jeremy Irons.

stephec

Legendary Member
I'm currently working through all the episodes of The Persuaders that I've recorded off some odd cable channel, I'll watch one in his honour tonight.

For Your eyes Only is still one of my favourite Bond films.

Top Bottom