R.I.P. Tom Wolfe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I was privileged enough to have Wolfe write about my attempt to break the sound barrier on a Raleigh Chopper, which was reworked as the X1 Chuck Yeager scene in The Right Stuff.

Adam4868

Guru
R.I.P liked his books in my younger days,read his stuff whilst travelling.Wolf,Hunter s Thompson,Tom Robbins,Kerouac.They did the rounds of the second hand book shops of south east asia.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Live fast, die at 88 - I think he got his money's worth. And Bonfire of the Vanities has a fair claim to be the book of the '80s. I even liked The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test...or at least I think I did. It was all a bit hazy in those days...

RIP

Tin Pot

Guru
Seemed to be quite famous, people referring to him a lot in The Arts but I’ve never known anything about him or his works, really.

I was privileged enough to have Wolfe write about my attempt to break the sound barrier on a Raleigh Chopper, which was reworked as the X1 Chuck Yeager scene in The Right Stuff.
Thats an odd coincidence, when he wrote From 'Bauhaus to Our House' he had recently finished some plastering work on My House. Great bloke but too intellectual for my liking.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Seemed to be quite famous, people referring to him a lot in The Arts but I’ve never known anything about him or his works, really.
Me either, though the right stuff may be of interest to me.

Tin Pot

Guru
I can't believe you haven't heard of him? Although his step sister Virginia was more famous for '1984' and 'Animal Farm' under the Orwell pseudonym.

Heard of, yes. And heard of Bonfire of the Vanities. Know anything about either? No. And didn’t recognise his picture.

So apart from that book, is there anything else I might be interested in?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Tom Wolfe-white suit.jpg
Heard of, yes. And heard of Bonfire of the Vanities. Know anything about either? No. And didn’t recognise his picture.

So apart from that book, is there anything else I might be interested in?
His tailor?

Top Bottom