R4 You & Yours on cycling safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bikepeter

Hi Everyone,

I recently had the misfortune of losing a friend in a cycle accident in London. She was run over by an HGV after being caught in its blind spot. This is the most recent fatal accident in London involving a bicycle.

It has reopened the debate on cycle safety at crossroads especially busy ones in London about whether more can be done to help reduce the blind spot for HGV's when turning left.

A cheap and effective way of doing this is using the trixiemirror which is attached to the street lights and is used to great effect in Switzerland & Germany already.

This mirrow is incredibly cheap and could be installed tomorrow.

To help with this debate and to try to stop any other lives from being ruined I am trying to make a difference to the safety of the streets.

For more information on this debate take a look at the below petition which has been created in the name of my deceased friend, and I would also be interested in hearing your comments about the suggestion of the trixiemirror and if you think it would save lives.

Thanks for reading.

Peter
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/boris-install-mirrors-that-save-cyclists-lives-petiti.html

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Hi Everyone,

I recently had the misfortune of losing a friend in a cycle accident in London. She was run over by an HGV after being caught in its blind spot. This is the most recent fatal accident in London involving a bicycle.

It has reopened the debate on cycle safety at crossroads especially busy ones in London about whether more can be done to help reduce the blind spot for HGV's when turning left.

A cheap and effective way of doing this is using the trixiemirror which is attached to the street lights and is used to great effect in Switzerland & Germany already.

This mirrow is incredibly cheap and could be installed tomorrow.

To help with this debate and to try to stop any other lives from being ruined I am trying to make a difference to the safety of the streets.

For more information on this debate take a look at the below petition which has been created in the name of my deceased friend, and I would also be interested in hearing your comments about the suggestion of the trixiemirror and if you think it would save lives.

Thanks for reading.

Peter
http://www.gopetitio...ves-petiti.html

I read Mr Dean's (iirc) article on the Guardian Bikeblog about this. A worthy cause imo!

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
There is a big problem with Cycle lanes!

Too many motorists using them!

The other problem with cycle lanes....they're not designed by cyclists. To ride in the best position on the road, you normally have to ride right on the edge of the cycle lane...and of course, people park in them! Do I use them? Not if I can help it. Stay in the flow of traffic when you can, and make sure you know what eveyone else is doing :hello:

Top Bottom