R4 You & Yours on cycling safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Kate Cairns - See Me, Save Me. Articulate and passionate about HGVs.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Road Haulage Association speaker. Anti-sensors, unsure of technological developments. Pushing for "sharing space" responsibly.

Off to ride my bike in the sun.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
That email "Cyclists should be licensed - I'm sick of them running red lights, putting everyone at risk"

Yes, because licensing has stopped all motorists from doing that!

Also, this lorry driver on now is a prat.

Bigsharn

Veteran
Well after listening in, I doubt very much if it'll have made a difference. There were people suggesting greatly segregated cycle lanes (and someone suggesting confining bikes to the pavement) and nobody seemed to bat an eyelid. Glad that the presenter rubbished the road tax issue right at the start though.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
The lorry driver on now has some good points. but he falls flat on his face when he says we should use cycle lanes!

Well done Gaz- top marks. Yes I thought the lorry driver was doing OK til then, although he seemed to think that also being a motorcyclist gave him insight into what it's like to be a cyclist- lots of motorists come out with that. My heart bleeds for the man whose poor son had his car's paintwork spoilt by a cyclist bouncing off his bonnet. Poor lamb. Honestly, dealing with motorists is like dealing with spolt children sometimes.

Generally though, it was certainly a more balanced programme than some I've heard. Good to hear the concept of shared space and the importance of good manners highlighted. And at least they didn't wheel out that chinless wonder from the RAC (forget the moron's name). The CTC guy was great.

After a worrying start - I was concerned that Adrian might set the tone (however his response to 'but won't that put off occasional cyclists?' was to go silent for three or four seconds and then mutter 'You've got a point.' I wish other muppets had that degree of awareness), it was a pretty good programme. The main contributors didn't seem to have been set up as adversaries and produced some decent discussion. The less impressive phone ins and e-mails didn't get too much prominence and the better callers were given the opportunity to get their points across well.
Each time there is a high profile, well argued, discussion such as this, it makes it harder for people to trot out the rubbish we usually hear in phone ins as their opinions will be much more easily dismissed and less likely to be accommodated by the producers of the next piece.

Klaus

Well after listening in, I doubt very much if it'll have made a difference. There were people suggesting greatly segregated cycle lanes (and someone suggesting confining bikes to the pavement) and nobody seemed to bat an eyelid. Glad that the presenter rubbished the road tax issue right at the start though.

I started listening whilst having my sandwiches, and after the first couple of callers I decided to get on my bike for a few miles. Beats talking about it anytime!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I wouldn't have too much of a problem with segregated cycle lanes, as long as:
  • they were given the same priority as roads (not having to give way at side junctions)
  • they were maintained to the same standard as roads
  • we didn't have to pay extra
But seeing as those requirements are already served by the road network, it would be a large additional cost at not much benefit.

adds21

Rider of bikes
My heart bleeds for the man whose poor son had his car's paintwork spoilt by a cyclist bouncing off his bonnet. Poor lamb. Honestly, dealing with motorists is like dealing with spolt children sometimes.

To be fair, I think he had a point about that, although I don't think compulsory insurance for cyclists is the answer.

If we take him as his word, and we have no reason not to, a drunk, teenage cyclist caused £3,000 damage to his sons car by coming out of a side road and damaging the front wing, bonnet and windscreen. I’d be pretty unhappy if someone did that to me. I would obviously primarily be concerned about the health of the cyclist, but that doesn’t detract from the fact I’ve now got a £3,000 bill for something that wasn't my fault.

However, I don’t see why he can’t attempt to claim back his costs in the small claims court.

I wouldn't have too much of a problem with segregated cycle lanes, as long as:
  • they were given the same priority as roads (not having to give way at side junctions)
  • they were maintained to the same standard as roads
  • we didn't have to pay extra
But seeing as those requirements are already served by the road network, it would be a large additional cost at not much benefit.

There is a big problem with Cycle lanes!

Too many motorists using them!

Top Bottom