Rabbits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
We had two rabbits when my daughter was about 12. A tiny grey dwarf rabbit and a massive black rabbit. They had a little time in the house (daughters idea) but that didn't last for two reasons.
1. I'm not keen on rabbit shoot all over the place.
2. I found the flex to the TV almost nibbled through and the thought of a rabbit screaming like a banshee with half it's head missing and the other half on fire disturbing my evening
did not really appeal.

We stuck them outside in a large hutch with a big run surrounded by a wire fence. I don't know why I bothered with the 'decorative' fence because they were under in in seconds flat. So after a lot of messing about with fence ideas I came up with the blindingly obvious solution of..........................letting them have free run of the garden. It worked a treat. The only downside was that anything edible within 2ft or so of the ground was eaten, so Mrs Colly wasn't too pleased tbh.
They never left the garden ignored the hutch and dug their own burrow and led a life of bliss. Winter and summer they were out and never got sick, so far as I could tell. One really cold frosty night in the small hours I looked out on the garden. the pair of them were sat, covered in thick frost, in the middle of the grass, which was also covered in thick frost. the big one shuffled off and left a tidy un-frosty patch of grass where he had been sat.
They would come and sit with us if we were in the garden eating biscuits and crisps if offered. Even the dog we had at the time would sit with them. Now and again she would get ideas on chasing one of them but when they had had enough of that they would stop and bite her, so she stopped chasing.
Two years or so we had them out and about in the garden then one night the little one disappeared. Two weeks later the big black one did too. Probably foxes, and while it was kind of sad that's the way of the world.

They had a terrific life even if it was cut short. Far better that than being kept in a cramped. smelly hutch until they died of boredom or succumbed to some awful disease bought on by stress.

One of my favourite photos is this one.

P8307185.jpg

Purely by chance

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I liked mine a good deal, they lived in an outside hutch attached to carriage house, I thinned the herd as college approached. My last was fried and eaten, as Harriet was quite unfriendly. She wound up feeding my Father, my Aunt, and my cousin Punk(and my Fathers' big boxer dog, Jupiter). My Father had a better opinion of her after that. I think it was Punks' cooking. An excellent game chef, was Punk.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Welsh Winter Bunny. Nails.
House rabbit says RESPECT

IjZqTOR.jpg

Top Bottom