Rabobank pulls sponsorship

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Or the European Patent Office :whistle:
I'm ashamed to say that took me longer to work out than it should have done.........

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think you have to take them at their word. They've spent a lot of money and seemed prepared to go on spending a lot of money, but something has clicked.

I wonder how Pat and Hein will respond to this.

oldroadman

Veteran
Profit drop - 29%. However much they say, the stakeholders will be asking why all the millions of Euro are going into cycling when the bank is in a dip. The cost of running the two teams will be about €18-20 million a year, at today's rates, so worth up to €120-140 million over the 17 years. Compared with this figure, the cost of supporting their underlying support of the Dutch teams will probably be a bit less. I note they are still supporting cyclo-cross - which is a very big sport in the Benelux region - and good for their image. So far this has escaped the scandal, and I hope this continues.
Supporting youth cycling is a no-brainer for a big national enterprise.
What is a worry is that they have quite happily carried on when "omerta" ruled, and when the clean up is going on, want to bail out. So will they take back all the publicity from wins when their head was firmly buried in the sand, and say that some of their wins were with chemically assisted rides? I think not.

Overall, though, for any sponsor to stay so long nowadays is unusual, and maybe the team management saw this coming.

U

User169

Were Rabo named in the Italian investigation yesterday? Maybe they are worried there's more grief coming their way.

thom

____
Were Rabo named in the Italian investigation yesterday? Maybe they are worried there's more grief coming their way.
Yep they were. Not at team level (Astana and Radioshack) but there may be riders individually involved.

I thought Rabobank were very poor this year looks like they're using the doping scandal as an opportunity to cut n run.

If that were the case, why are they paying the riders through next year to ride without the Rabobank name on? Poor performance would pull the plug immediately. Wanting to make financial savings would pull the plug immediately. Wanting to make the savings but being a responsible sponsor might allow them to race next year as the final year in Rabobank colours. But pay them to ride next year but without mentioning the Rabobank name just says "Sorry guys, you were a good team that we feel responsible for but we just can't have our name associated with road cycling any more."

U

User169

I thought Rabobank were very poor this year looks like they're using the doping scandal as an opportunity to cut n run.

Seems harsh for a team that won the worlds in cross and on the road. One of their riders also won the olympic gold medal on the road.

tigger

Über Member
If that were the case, why are they paying the riders through next year to ride without the Rabobank name on? Poor performance would pull the plug immediately. Wanting to make financial savings would pull the plug immediately. Wanting to make the savings but being a responsible sponsor might allow them to race next year as the final year in Rabobank colours. But pay them to ride next year but without mentioning the Rabobank name just says "Sorry guys, you were a good team that we feel responsible for but we just can't have our name associated with road cycling any more."

Never thought I'd say this, but I completely agree with you. Its a massive shame for the sport. I'm hoping its also a commendable act that Rabobank have honoured next years contracts, as opposed to just contractual obligations? And as per Thom, this is a HUGE vote of no confidence in the UCI's ability to keep the sport clean. Much sadder than any of the Armstong sh*t itself for me...

Top Bottom