Race Pedals Explained.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Campbell

New Question,
**What is the difference between 'Floating Cleats' and 'Fixed Cleats' **

I know this is a bit of a basic question but as i am new to racing i do not know how to fit clip on pedals to a racing bike. I know how the system works except i do not know how the race shoe fits to the clip on pedal, i have heard of cleats but am unsure of what i need to buy to fit the system to my bike. If your answers could include links to a set of pedals and cleats, if thats right that would fit with these shoes preferably on wiggle.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_R1_Road_Shoes/5360033177/

Thank you very much for your answers,
Campbell

**What is the difference between 'Floating Cleats' and 'Fixed Cleats' **

jasper

The cleats bolt onto the shoe, then these clip into the pedal. It says that the bolt pattern on the shoe you want fits Look, SPD & SPD-R (I would think they fit SPD-SL also) so you would have to buy those types of pedals so that you can bolt the cleat to the shoe. Normally the cleats will come with the pedal, as will the bolts to bolt them on to the shoe.

jasper

Forgot to say:

Float means the free rotation of the pedal before it disengages the mechanism and releases your foot, usually specified in degrees. Fixed is as it says..

wafflycat

Pretty much what Jasper says.

Various manufacturers have pedal systems. Common ones are Look, Shimano, Time, Speedplay... Some maufacturers make several different kind of pedals.

Example. For my bikes, I have 'original' Look pedals. Look also make a system called 'Keo' which is replacing the ones I use.

Whatever clipless pedal system you buy into, you have to have the correct type of cleat attached to the sole of your shoe. Cleats re usually NOT interchangeable between different pedal systems. Example - it would be no good me trying to use a Shimano spd cleat with my Look pedals.

The differing types of cleats have different screw/bolt holes - so whatever shoe you need to attach a cleat to, you have to have the matching holes on the soles of your cycle shoes. Hence it's important to know whether any particular shoe is compatible with the pedal/cleat system you use.

Cleats can indeed come with the pedals. But cleats wear out - so you can buy cleats separately to pedals. You can, for some systems, buy cleat covers to put over the cleats on your shoes to protect them from wear when you are using the shoes off the bike.

As to what system you use - it depends what works for you. Some swear by Shimano spds. Personally, I love the Look system and can't get along with spds. My son can interchange between systems (Look, Shimano spd, spd-sl, Speedplay) but his favourites are Speedplay.

Float is as Jasper says. It's the degree of lateral movement the system allows your foot to travel before the pedal/cleat disengage.

The shoe you describe has this info:-

Cleat Pattern: 3 Bolt Look, SPD and SPD-R

Look pedal example
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Look_Keo_Easy_Pedals/5360036873/

Shimano spd example
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shimano_PD-M540_Pedals/5360008791/

Hope this helps a bit

Top Bottom