Rachel Aldred's Near Miss Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

.stu

Über Member
Another 3 self-gratification artists in cars driving like complete a*seholes on my way home tonight.

OP
OP
G
Aye - and it's running again this year.

"Creative Exchange and Blaze have both kindly agreed to support a second year of the project. This means we will be able to run a second One Day Diary this October/November, providing an expanded dataset and evidence of any changes since last year. We're hoping that people who filled in the diary last year will be kind enough to sign up again (the survey should be a bit more user-friendly, especially the map function - thanks again for feedback on this). We'll also be looking for new participants."

fimm

Veteran
I actually think that all those people who cycle thousands of miles a year and never have an incident should be encouraged to sign up - it would be interesting to see the difference between those who do report incidents and those who don't, and the more cyclists involved the better.
Remember, you select a day first and then report what, if anything, happens. So if nothing happens you submit a blank report. That is useful data just as much as a non-blank report is.
I'm signed up again.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I actually think that all those people who cycle thousands of miles a year and never have an incident should be encouraged to sign up - it would be interesting to see the difference between those who do report incidents and those who don't, and the more cyclists involved the better.
Remember, you select a day first and then report what, if anything, happens. So if nothing happens you submit a blank report. That is useful data just as much as a non-blank report is.
I'm signed up again.
Well that was what I was expecting and I ended up having a worse than normal day, and I can still remember the worst incident which was a car overtaking me whilst I was passing parked cars approaching a blind bend that I could hear the car coming and realised he would have to pull towards me to avoid it.

There's a new cycle lane that runs against the single-lane traffic coming the other way. There were arguments in the local press for and against and the general feeling bitterly resentful. Three times using the new lane a car has swerved towards me, the driver has jinked the wheel so I've had to slow right down, in different places along Magdalen Road. It's that sort of stuff that makes me consider a camera. These daffodils think they're Judge Dredd or something, except I haven't done a thing wrong.

OP
OP
G
We are pleased to have secured further support from our partners Creative Exchange and Blaze to run another One Day Diary this month. We would very much appreciate it if people who filled in a diary in 2014 would do the same again. Please also feel free to let other people know about the new survey.

Please register your participation and choice of diary day (it just takes a minute) by clicking ...

http://rachelaldred.us9.list-manage...4c22bc14880736a0a6&id=b38318b01f&e=9a859f35d8

... between Monday October 19th and Sunday November 1st. Nominate one day over the two week period, when you'll record your cycle trips on that day and whether you have any near miss experiences. We want to hear from everyone who cycles, whatever your experience of cycling.

Lonestar

Veteran
horses for courses, been riders on here spitting blood about London Bridge when I used it both ways every day and thought nothing of it at all

there are certainly routes I no longer or rarely use because of either what i think dangerous layout or just to many incidents/near misses - I'm looking at you Ferry Lane eastbound on the way home, never mind the now even more manic than it was before Tottenham/Broad Lane one way system eastbound, to think I used to grumble about it before ...

Don't mind London Bridge southbound and get on pretty well Northbound but don't like the layout at the South End with the three sets of light quite close when proceeding northbound.Rarely use it as I use Southwark Bridge most of the time.Yes admittedly there are roads I no longer use to avoid the hassle plus they are where you normally find the f-wits.Plus I rarely go via Aldgate now.

Top Bottom