Racing for first time this weekend, yikes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
The race set off at 9.30am with a larger than expected turnout as some old hands turned up without telling anyone, making the competition even tougher. The 3 groups each had 9-10 riders with group 1 supposedly new racers but I soon found out most were experienced club riders who never did much racing. I was only one of two new club members so I was in a field of experienced racers and riders. Option 1 was the favoured one as our group kept a very good pace and there was no way anyone could break away on their own, in fact we dropped 3 riders after the 2nd lap of the course to leave us with 6 until the end of lap 3. Group 2 set off 3.5 minutes after us and group 3 a further minute after them so we weren't given much of a head start. Group 3 caught group 2 after half a lap but didn't reach us until half way through lap 4 which was the final lap. (This was 20 miles into a 23 mile race).

I admit that the high pace through 20 miles and some very sharp climbs took its toll on my inexperienced legs and I dropped off the back of our group 2 miles from the finishing line. I'm proud of matching them and beating many group 2 riders in the race but was a little gutted I couldnt keep with the group for the full 23 miles. I finished 15th out of 29 but I feel good as I learnt so much about racing and know where I can improve next time so gradually I will get better. Here's the strava link to my race: http://www.strava.com/activities/87232385
If you analyse it you can see that the sharp climbs on laps 3 and 4 really start getting slow as my legs were in agony but I still kept up the pace on the flat. It wasn't a flat course so I'm happy with my 20mph average.

Congrats - that's a really good effort. I wouldn't beat yourself up about getting dropped with 2 miles to go - and don't worry about average speeds in racing. The main thing is you know what needs improving over the winter, so you can work on it.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Well done - that seems like a good start. In August I threw myself into it a bit fast, with my last race having mostly 2nd/3rd cat riders (that hurt!).

oldroadman

Veteran
That's a decent first effort, no shame in finishing half way down the list. It's good that you started in a group with experienced club riders, that will have kept the line moving nicely and safely, much better than a whole group of novices who frankly are a danger to themselves and simply have little clue how to ride maintaining a strong but sensible pace.. So the experience you had was a really good start to your racing. That your group was not caught until over 80% of the distance was done shows the handicapper had it about right. The group 2 that was caught early probably went steady until the scratch group caught them and opted to try and free ride on the back of the faster riders. Which is a tactic that can work but usually fails. Plus there is no benefit in learning how to run a proper working group that way!
No issue with getting dropped near the finish, you have experienced the pain and got through it, onwards and upwards now, train well and have a good 2014 season.
"It never gets easier, just faster".....:banghead:

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
I appreciate the encouragement here and feel like I did my best but as a competitive git I'm wondering if I made too many basic errors or didn't plan correctly for the race. I would like to learn from my mistakes so here's my main thoughts:
Fuel: I ate a bowl of oats approx 1 hour before the race for breakfast. (I could barely get it down as I wasnt feeling very hungry, probably nerves & excitement). I took a pre race protein/carb bar with me but couldnt stomach eating it. I drank a bit of water in the morning but was worrying about taking too much and needing a pee in the race. I had a 750ml bottle of water with a flavoured tab for the race. Do I need to be better fuelled for a 1 hour race and should I take any quick energy foods with me??
Tactics: I stuck with my group for 3/4 of the race doing 21mph average, then was caught by the scratch group and tagged along for a bit before they took off and left us behind, then we broke up and finished the race solo as the individuals dashed off at different speeds due to ability and fitness. This last 2 miles were slower for me as I was on my own and had lost a bit of morale as some in my original group had gone ahead and I couldnt keep up. My legs were gone from the frequent hill climbs. Is it better to take the hills easier and conserve energy for the flats or can you make time by being quicker up hills on a particularly hilly course?

Anything else I should know that can be worked on? Thanks

oldroadman

Veteran
Pre race eating. Never LESS than 2 hours before for anything substantial. Porridge is great, slow re;lease energy. A carb snack 30 minutes pre start. You said it was about a 40km race? One 500ml bottle should do, provided you get on the start line decently hydrated. In that distance any more food is probably not needed, just take something just in case, but if you feel hungry it's too late! If it's a gel, use water on top, and NEVER use anything you have not tried out in training, unless projectile vomiting is one of your hobbies!
Ride steady in the line, no pushing hard to do a turn at the front which might destroy you and others. Don't be afraid to miss a turn now and again, just sit on the back and swop wheels, try to get behind the sommothest rider in the group so when you go through it's easier.
On climbs, don't kill yourself, if you start at the front of the group and let yourself drift back it allows you to go a little steadier and still be on the back at the top. This can have the added bonus of slipping a few turns as well. Learn to look introuble when you do this, but otherwise try to keep a poker face. Races are won by clever riders, not daft but strong ones.
Post race get a sugary drink (flat coke is good) down asap, this helps recovery.
Hope this all helps, from an old soldier...:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
Great advice, thanks. I did my best to take my turn at the front as part of a chain gang for 3 laps but I guess that took its toll and by the last lap I fell back from the group. I need to be more tactically astute but at least I can take comfort that it was my first race and only involving our cycling club so not as competitive as future races. I drank my full 750ml water bottle by the end so I guess I wasnt hydrated enough pre-race but I will learn from that. Thanks again

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Excellent effort and write up. Well done for giving it a go!
I tried racing (RR Handicap) myself this year, for the first time. Pretty much a similar story and result. I got a lift home with the holding champ of the series and we were discussing how it is like a game of decit. Making it look like you are doing as much as humanly possible, while actually doing less that you could manage and conserving energy. My problem was always trying to go with the breaks and in my second race riding off the front of group one a couple of times, with no viable chance of staying away for the whole race. Energy sapping but fun!

Be good to see how you get on with future events...

Top Bottom