Organising a time-trial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Very demanding task, but appreciated by riders.

I remember my dad organising them. Start sheets, all typed up by hand, same for result sheets. Using Banda copying machines.
No spreadsheets or computers in those days, no electronic payments, all manual work. And they had full fields, so entries had to be posted to 120 riders and those who didnt get in.

Today's IT systems might be complcated, but must be better than the old days.

I haven't organised an event myself, but was the results keeper for our evening 10's for about 15 years and the time and commitment is indeed demanding.

Mick Mudd

Über Member
Hey organisers PLEASE clearly mark the finish line with a black/white checkerboard or a b/w flag !
During my glory days as a club cyclist in the 1970's the organisation by local clubs (including my own Wreake Valley CC) was very sloppy and amateurish and cost me a highish placing in the 1974 WVCC TT..:smile:
I flopped badly because there were knots of people spectating all the way up the course and I wrongly assumed one largish knot were standing at the finish so i slowed right down after passing them.
There were cries of "What's up? Carry on" and I realised my mistake and started pedalling for the true finish which was where another smaller knot were standing about a hundred yards further on. without any b/w board or flag !
Needless to say, my time was appalling..:smile:

PS- okay, okay i know i was partly to blame because i should have asked around before the start to learn the exact spot where the finish was, grrrrrr...

Last edited:
Top Bottom