Racing Log - Hillingdon 26/1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

I thought I'd post my racing Experiences this season as there never seems to be anything on here so far.

Yesterday I thought I'd start my season a little early and headed down to Hillingdon to catch the tail end of the winter series and this being my first visit there also. I thoughtI'd take my mum along as she wasn't doing anything and a previous race she came to I had to pull out early with a stitch early in the race.
I registered my name in at race control, all seemed pretty smooth but not as smooth as other race's I have been to before but all was pretty quick and I had plenty of time to go back to the car and get my leg warmers and stick in a couple of warm up laps. Hillingdon Appeared to be a good track, pretty flat, a small hill and a slight incline to the finish line which Looked like it could seperate those that wern't feeling to strong at the end of the race, I, felt good and knew if I raced well and kept a good position it should be mine for the taking.

After the usual talk we all headed off the start line, it seemed pretty slow compared to most races, but this was cat 4 riders and it after hearing the talk before the race, it seemed it was alot of peoples first race.
the race got under way after the first lap, I don't really know what speed we was doing as I decided to try racing without a HRM to see if I could go on feel, I guess we was going around 25-27 mph, and I had a great position behind the tallest man on a bike sheilding me from the oncoming wind, which I sat at for a good 3-4 laps, till I was able to move to the front of the group and lead out for a while. after around 6 laps a crash happens on the climb afterthe hairpin, I was lucky enough not to be behind it, but unlucky enough not to miss the sliding bike heading accross the track, which I inevitably hit but was lucky enough to see this happening and was able to throw myself to the grass rather than the tarmac. I instantly got up went to collect the bike which was 2 metres behind me, but in my haste to get going again I pulled on the bike without noticing it had got caught in the fallen bikes spokes. After getting it out I was off, chasing the group down which felt I was doing around 30mph into a headwind but I was unable to catch the group. I carried on, passing stragglers and passing them. Another rider caught in the crash was able to catch me and pass me but he had to pull off after 2 laps as he was totally spent and had nothing left. I carried on chasing hte pack but every time I looked up they had pulled away that little bit more. So I just slowed and let them catch me so I could rejoin the group. I again held my own but I didn't want to jostle for position as I had already been lapped. It got to what appeared to me to be the last lap so I thought I'd see who was still strong and also If I was and sprinted for the line, only to find there was still one more left to go.
I followed the group round again one last time, but this time Thought I'd only give it 70% to the line as the real winners were fighting for position.

I was a good days racing and I felt a little disapointed that I knew today was my day but you win some you lose some, till next weekend;)

Keith Oates

Janner
Interesting Walker, glad you were not hurt in the pile up but bad luck in losing touch with the race. Keep the reports coming they will be interesting and with luck some other 'racers' will add to the thread as the year progresses!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave5N

Über Member
FWIW I raced today. Felt shocking at the start, worse during, and pretty crap still.

Maybe I'll grow a beard, move over to ACF and take up Audaxing. Can't be worse than my efforts today.

OP
OP
walker

walker

Dave5N said:
Just wish I'd crashed really. Then it could have been over sooner. ;)

I think the lad who was the main culprit (Bad choice of words but I can't think of a better way to put it) actually broke his arm. So I don't really think you want to crash in a race. I've seen some that have been quite hilarious, One lad at Chertsey last year hit some gravel and went right over the handle bars is a very comical way, bike hits gravel, stops suddenly, rider and bike go over the front wheel.

OP
OP
walker

walker

Top Bottom