racing tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
what is hot and what is not? My gatorskins have decided to pack it in, so might as well upgrade to faster tyres - any recommendations?

Young Un

Pro Race 3's, or Ultremo R.1

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Pro Race 3's seems to have a lot of complaints about punctures and the Ultremo's are apparently less durable.

I guess durable and fast do not go well together, and like all things there has to be a trade off. Thanks for the help young - un

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I'm using gatorskins, and it's hard work to push them to go beyond 40km/h on a flat road, and on the downhill I really noticed the resistance, but on the plus side I've not had to stop on a busy road to fix a puncture yet, I do have some Grandprix4000 tyres waiting to be tried though!

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
I'm using gatorskins, and it's hard work to push them to go beyond 40km/h on a flat road, and on the downhill I really noticed the resistance, but on the plus side I've not had to stop on a busy road to fix a puncture yet, I do have some Grandprix4000 tyres waiting to be tried though!

Interesting...they're all I can remember riding - so don't know much different. I do wonder how much racing tyres will help, or if I should just stick to gatorskins for racing and enjoy the lack of punctures

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Michelin Pro Race 3.
Unfortunately there's alsways a trade-off between speed and P*ncture resistance, for me the PR3s performance is well worth the odd extra p*ncture.

Young Un

You'll struggle to find good speed and puncture resistance in the same tyre. I've run pr3's for 3 years and punctured once, and that was glass. They are an awesome tyre, grip really well in the wet. The only downside is they cut up easily when you first get them, but we're talking 2mm slits, but they harden after a few rides in the sun and stop cutting and last about a season, which ios all you should expect from a high performance race tyre

amaferanga

Veteran
You mean tyres for racing or tyres for your racing bike?

If the former then Pro 3 Race. If the latter then Michelin Krylion Carbons.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Tyres for racing. When we are talking about performance, are we talking just handling and cornering, or is there a speed increase as well?

£60 a pair is expensive if they slash themselves to pieces, but well worth the money if there is a noticable performance increase

amaferanga

Veteran
They're not going to make you noticeably faster in a straight line, but Pro 3 Race will give you lots of confidence to give it some through the corners. I notice a difference between the Pro 3 Race and Krylion Carbons even.

Obviously they're not the toughest tyres, but you can't have light, grippy and last forever. You should be able to find them for less than £50 a pair (I've bought them from Decathlon and Je James for £25).

monnet

Guru
Pro 3s are great, highly recommended. Not quite as grippy but a bit more durable are Conti 4000s.

Assuming it really is a racing tyre you're after, then I'd draw your attention to Conti Supersonics (310Tpi) and Vittoria Open Corsa CX (320Tpi). Both super fast tyres and as close as clinchers will get to a tub.

Remember these are for racing so they're not super durable but they're fast, supple, grippy and light - 4 qualities which, unfortunately, are not necessarily associated with durability.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Some Pro Race 3's ordered, cheers for the help all. At uni the local track has a lot of tight corners, fingers crossed these will help boost confidence in them.

I'm also considering getting another really cheap pair of tyres to fit for longer training rides as it makes little sense to bang out 70+ odd miles on rubbish road on tyres like these

Top Bottom