Rack and pannier advise please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Hi folks ive been getting good advice on mudguards for my new ride [Dawes disco 201] and would appreciate some on panniers and rack. Ive browsed ebay but wonder what will fit and some varieties of rack look a bit dubious on how theyre mounted. I dont need a heavy duty system for camping expeditions but good enough to carry the essentials for an average ride ie waterproof jacket/few tools/inner tube/camera/sarnies and the like. Cheap[ish] would be good as im now skint[ish] ^_^

Punkawallah

Über Member
Hi, unless you intend on getting the shopping on the bike, you may want to look at saddle, seat tube or top tube bags. They are easier to fit and more forgiving on the wallet.

My seat tube bag holds spare inner tube plus other ‘necessaries’ and was £10 from t’ebay. My rack was £20 plus another £30 for the bags.

Search ‘bike tube bags’ on eBay for a selection :-)

Sharky

Guru
I use a small under the saddle bag for tools, repair kits and inner tubes.
I prefer the type which just use velcro straps, rather than fancy quick release brackets. With the velcro type, you can easily switch from one bike to another.

For the waterproof jacket, or rather a rain jacket, I use an old water bottle with the top sawn off. The rain jacket is rolled up and inserted into the bottle and goes into one of my bottle cages. But I always check weather forecasts and if heavy rain predicted, would probably put off until the next day.

Camera or rather my phone (and wallet) - back pocket of my cycle jersey/jacket

Sarnies - Usual rides would not take me through a meal time, so don't need to carry sarnies. For rides approaching 3hrs, might carry a breakfast bar or some fruit and these would also go into one of the back pockets. As would an extra inner tube for the longer ride. Cafe stops are part of cycle enjoyment, so again takes away the need for sarnies.

When I was commuting and had to carry clothing and other items, I used a Towpeak RX beam rack and slide on bag. A bit pricey, but very good quality and easy to fix on the bike of take off (simple clamp on the seat post). Would also use this for an all day ride, but for an organised sportive, not really needed as there are usually decent food stops along the way.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Hi, unless you intend on getting the shopping on the bike, you may want to look at saddle, seat tube or top tube bags. They are easier to fit and more forgiving on the wallet.

My seat tube bag holds spare inner tube plus other ‘necessaries’ and was £10 from t’ebay. My rack was £20 plus another £30 for the bags.

Search ‘bike tube bags’ on eBay for a selection :-)
Our local community bike project has lots of used racks for £5 each. I have a couple on bikes that do the job.

Maybe there is a similar bike project near you?
I use a small under the saddle bag for tools, repair kits and inner tubes.
I prefer the type which just use velcro straps, rather than fancy quick release brackets. With the velcro type, you can easily switch from one bike to another.

For the waterproof jacket, or rather a rain jacket, I use an old water bottle with the top sawn off. The rain jacket is rolled up and inserted into the bottle and goes into one of my bottle cages. But I always check weather forecasts and if heavy rain predicted, would probably put off until the next day.

Camera or rather my phone (and wallet) - back pocket of my cycle jersey/jacket

Sarnies - Usual rides would not take me through a meal time, so don't need to carry sarnies. For rides approaching 3hrs, might carry a breakfast bar or some fruit and these would also go into one of the back pockets. As would an extra inner tube for the longer ride. Cafe stops are part of cycle enjoyment, so again takes away the need for sarnies.

When I was commuting and had to carry clothing and other items, I used a Towpeak RX beam rack and slide on bag. A bit pricey, but very good quality and easy to fix on the bike of take off (simple clamp on the seat post). Would also use this for an all day ride, but for an organised sportive, not really needed as there are usually decent food stops along the way.
Excellent advice thanks folks ^_^ I thought the sawn off water bottle to carry a jacket was inspired! I have more options to consider now re seat bags/saddle tube bags/top tube bags. I may have to carry sarnies as cafes might be few and far between in the Highlands as are Community bike projects. ^_^

Rack and panniers extend your bike to shopping/utility. Your bike has pretty standard pannier fixings so stick to a standard rack:
Non adjustable legs.
Strong stiff adjustable front stays
Fully triangulated
No propriatory rails
Open frame top
Sufficient length of single rod/tube for pannier hooks
Strong adjustable front stays
I like a raised hoop at the front of the rack top to act as a stop for large loads and to fit the curved end of a kryptonite lock .

For panniers:
Stiff fabric
Lightweight stiffener on back and base.
Rixen and Kaul locking hooks.

Avoid
hook and elastic and also locking hooks that fail to hook when the lock breaks ie the claw type hooks.
Heavy board stiffening
Floppy thin fabric

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
looking at the piccie of the bike it looks like it has rack mounts

1631361099505.png

If so then a traditional mounted pannier will be fine and sturdy , i use a basic halfords rack on my bike for commuting as i carry the kitchen sink :smile:
currently ...
work clothes
sarnies
waterproof jacket + leggings
overshoes
mini tool kit
spare tubes
pump
slip on cover for helmet for when it really hammers it down

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I have more bikes with racks than without, and they either came with the bike or were transferred from scrappers I've stripped for parts. I don't often carry much stuff, but I have the ability to carry it properly and securely when I need to.
If I just want a puncture kit that can go in a small seatpost bag, but that leaves me fixing the pump to one of the frame tubes. If I'm carrying some sort of bag on the rack, the pump goes in that along with everything apart from a water bottle, which is always on the down tube.
Like every other aspect of cycling, equipping your bike to carry stuff can be as cheap or as expensive as you choose to make it. I've never bought a rack, but I have bought a cheap pannier set and a cheap bar bag that can also be made to fit as a saddlebag - both from Lidls during cycling promotions. For casual use, they're more than adequate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Rack and panniers extend your bike to shopping/utility. Your bike has pretty standard pannier fixings so stick to a standard rack:
Non adjustable legs.
Strong stiff adjustable front stays
Fully triangulated
No propriatory rails
Open frame top
Sufficient length of single rod/tube for pannier hooks
Strong adjustable front stays
I like a raised hoop at the front of the rack top to act as a stop for large loads and to fit the curved end of a kryptonite lock .

For panniers:
Stiff fabric
Lightweight stiffener on back and base.
Rixen and Kaul locking hooks.

Avoid
hook and elastic and also locking hooks that fail to hook when the lock breaks ie the claw type hooks.
Heavy board stiffening
Floppy thin fabric
looking at the piccie of the bike it looks like it has rack mounts

View attachment 608666
If so then a traditional mounted pannier will be fine and sturdy , i use a basic halfords rack on my bike for commuting as i carry the kitchen sink :smile:
currently ...
work clothes
sarnies
waterproof jacket + leggings
overshoes
mini tool kit
spare tubes
pump
slip on cover for helmet for when it really hammers it down
When I commuted I used a small, old-fashioned saddle-bag with a support frame to stop it bouncing around. I carried work clothes and a tool-kit, with enough room for a bit of shopping if required.

Have a look here - https://spacycles.co.uk/m5b0s73p0/Bags-and-Luggage/Saddle-Bags - for some ideas.
I have more bikes with racks than without, and they either came with the bike or were transferred from scrappers I've stripped for parts. I don't often carry much stuff, but I have the ability to carry it properly and securely when I need to.
If I just want a puncture kit that can go in a small seatpost bag, but that leaves me fixing the pump to one of the frame tubes. If I'm carrying some sort of bag on the rack, the pump goes in that along with everything apart from a water bottle, which is always on the down tube.
Like every other aspect of cycling, equipping your bike to carry stuff can be as cheap or as expensive as you choose to make it. I'venever bought a rack, but I have bought a cheap pannier set and a cheap bar bag that can also be made to fit as a saddlebag - both from Lidls during cycling promotions. For casual use, they're more than adequate.
Thanks for the great advise folks ^_^ Being skint ive opted for this one Heavy Duty Aluminum Alloy Bicycle Cycling Bike Rear Pannier Rack Luggage Carrier | eBay Not elegant but looks like it will suffice and cheap too. Where i live [Highlands] i wouldnt want to be without the essentials especially in the winter months. Thanks again! ^_^

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
SJS have a decent enough reputation with utility/touring cyclists and you won't go wrong for a Tenner. No-one ever wished they didn't have a rack in the same way they don't wish they didn't have mudguards when they get caught in the rain. Fair weather, sunny day only bikes are one thing but on an all-purpose bike it's better to have but not need something on a ride than it is to need it but not have it fitted or carried.

carpenter

Über Member
Bit late for the OP, but I have two "bor yueh" racks on my mountain bikes. Sturdy, lightweight and don't need a rear mudguard anymore :smile:.

Bought both on auction site for about £10 each - highly recommended.

DiggyGun

Thanks for the great advise folks ^_^ Being skint ive opted for this one Heavy Duty Aluminum Alloy Bicycle Cycling Bike Rear Pannier Rack Luggage Carrier | eBay Not elegant but looks like it will suffice and cheap too. Where i live [Highlands] i wouldnt want to be without the essentials especially in the winter months. Thanks again! ^_^
Panniers are clip on (more expensive) but easy to use and can be waterproof,
Mens Hinterradtasche Ortlieb Back-Roller City Bicycle Bag (1 Pair) -Black/Red, 40 Litre
More information:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001OMMH4K/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_ZCZNKVD1AVZ89H6A95KZ

or, hook and loop (Velcro) attachment (cheaper) once can, more of a faff to take off and not always waterproof, but some come with a rain cover.
Pannier Bag 3 in 1 Bicycle 50L Bike Bag Rear Rack Bici Bags Bicycle Rear Seat Trunk Panniers Bike Saddle Bag with Shoulder Strap
by HOMPER
Learn more:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08V1QFYPJ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_H917FMGCPVEQN1PS3CSV

Another option is a trunk bag with drop down pannier bags
SYUER 25L Bike Rear Bag, Waterproof Bike Trunk Bag, Bicycle Pannier, Cycling Storage Luggage Rack Bag, with | Mesh Pocket, Shoulder Strap, Rain Cover | Bicycle Rear Seat Bags
by Syuer-UK
Learn more:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08YJY2SB6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_FAZ6PZNE2QYD668E3DZQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

As with anything, there is a huge choice, some suit some people, other may not. Just search on Amazon, if not suitable, send it back and try another, but have fun doing so..

Top Bottom