Rack and panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Looking at getting these for my bike as carrying on my back is a no-no.

Read about a bit, and seems this will fit a Whyte Suffolk.

Being ignorant, I'm not sure if the bags that hang down the sides like this are good for commuting, or something like this rack bag would be better. What difference would it make?

I suppose I'm looking for those who have thousands of miles of commuting to draw on and advise me as to the best storage solution for my bike.

Thank you in advance :thumbsup:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Normal panniers that hang down have not given me any issues in years of commuting and to be honest give that " Wide load" look which puts off the odd motorist who wants to try and close pass you. The plus side of having a pair of bags is the extra load capacity as well. Go for it,you won't have any problems.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Do you think the £22 Halford jobs will do the trick?

I'm aware there are a range of better bags but I need lights, rack, mudguards .... too much required, not enough money!!!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Do you think the £22 Halford jobs will do the trick?

I'm aware there are a range of better bags but I need lights, rack, mudguards .... too much required, not enough money!!!

I use Altura 36l panniers for everything including the trip I did from Manchester to Cornwall in 2010.Not heard of the Halfords pannier make but I am sure they will be good enough for commuting. Even though they list them as water proof, I would still add plastic bags to protect your stuff which is what I have done with mine.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Ok mate, think I'll go with the Halfords bags to get started with.

Does anyone know if I can put on the rack in the picture as well as mudguards on a Whyte Suffolk?

Your bike has mudguard and rear rack drillings and disc brakes and 700c wheels. Your chosen rack is:
Specially designed for use on bikes with disc brakes.
Fits 26" and 700c wheels.

Yes, would seem to be the answer.

I found the rack itself acts as a mudguard. I have a single pannier, 4,000 commuting miles and all good. I bought a decent altura one and it's great. I keep it on the left and no issue wuth commuting in busy London roads. I would possibly suggest spending a little more if your load is valuable. Mine are waterproof, your link is water resistant.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
The load isn't valuable. In fact, not sure what the load is. Lunch, some paperwork, towel, underwear maybe - at a push an iPad and some books.

I see what you mean. It is valuable.

compo

Veteran
You can always use a waterproof liner if your panniers are not waterproof. To really save money just use a large carrier bag or a black bin liner inside the pannier.

Learnincurve

I have those double basil panniers but in very girlie colour, and have found them to be most excellent. They are bags to put other bags in rather than the kind you take on and off. The ones that go on the top are the sort you unclip and carry about with you but they hold less than you would think.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I need to plan what it is I'm actually going to transport.

Was looking at double ones - 35 litres - but I'd need to take one of my children in there to justify all that space!

I'm sure it'll be a while before I get it right!

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
I need to plan what it is I'm actually going to transport.
Was looking at double ones - 35 litres - ..........t!

i recently added a rear rack to the Peugeot for day trips
and a top bag which holds 7L
a full length pocket on the left is good for tools and waterproof pants
2 smaller pockets on the right are ok....1 for chocs etc and 1 for a spare tube
the main compartment actually turns out quite small - 5 cans of [..] will fit
wfs-16-08-2014-22-44-45-100_3103_zps2db9a0b9.jpg
for grocery shopping i use 2x15L panniers from Decathelon .....well made with draw flaps and a lid but not WP
wfs-15-03-2014-14-55-16-1st-run_zps47de50e7.jpg

HTH....john

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
That helps a lot. I think the small one may be too small, but the bigger ones too big. Ha ha!

I'll have another look - like Ortlieb but they're pretty expensive.

Maybe I should sell my car and be done with it!

Top Bottom