Radical Design for Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pwhallon

Regular
Hi, I'm in the USA and am interested in getting a Radical Design trailer to go with my Brompton.

Are there any dealers out there who discount the price. They are a bit pricey.

Choice #2 is a Travoy.

Thanks, Paul

brommieinkorea

Never seen a Radical Designs Chubby for cheap. Anyone selling one has always had it priced over $600. I'd think real hard before getting a Travoy, not remotely the same thing.
Might try Clever Cycles, Portapedal, Curbside Cycles, Cycle to Go(aka Metro Gnome music) , Perennial Cycle, Cosmic Bikes... These are Brompton dealers with an internet store who could also get Radical Designs stuff. Some of Burleys products are available through QBP so you might be able to order a Travoy through your local bike shop. You didn't say where you are so I have no idea locally. Note to all the Brits: the contiguous USA is larger than Europe so USA is vague as a location.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I do own both, a Radical Design and Travoy. They are completely different beasts, behave completely different and serve completely different purposes. I would not remotely see them as exchangeble What problem are you trying to solve with the trailer?

Also I think you will be out of luck regarding discounts for the radical trailer. They are indeed expensive but they are it for a reason and other trailers in the same league do cost comparable money. The travoy on the other hand left me a bit underwhelmed. I like it and it is practical, but made in China, loads of plastic, a bit flimsy, some constructive maldecisions (on the first version that I own, somewhat better now on the actual version) plus it becomes very expensive when you count in the price of the bags and other accessorie like the raincover (at least here in Europe). If one of the two is overpriced it is the Travoy.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I have never seen a new Chubby for less than $600.
I did, a couple of years ago. A demo model from a shop whose owner retired. It was a couple of years old and sold for like 350€. But this was the only occasion - I even cannot remember any offers for used ones. The Radical Cyclone is more common and it is worth considering if you really want a Radical trailer. The chubby offers the option for storing the Brompton inside, but due to the wider wheelbase it has more issues with fitting through bottlenecks which can be a bit annoying in daily practice. But it is probably for the same reason less prone to tipping over (which I managed to achieve with both, the Cyclone as well as with the Travoy - but in both cases my fault :whistle:). So -as often- it depends from the use case which trailer fits your needs better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pwhallon

Regular
Thank you for the comments.

I'm wanting it for travel.

I have a Burley nomad. The hitch puts the tongue a little low. The Radical Design hitch attaches a little higher.

Thanks again for the insight.

👍

berlinonaut

Veteran
For travel I would clearly prefer a trailer that attaches to the axle over one that attaches to the seat post. If you put load on the trailer the centre of gravity will be way lower and cornering will be way less of an issue. Also the Travoy with some load on it tends to pump on the seat post when you accelerate (which feels pretty awkward) and it pushes more when breaking. An axle attached trailer is way more comfy when touring - most of the time you simply won't recognize it.
Not saying it would not be possible to tour with a Travoy but if I had the choice (and luckily I have the choice) I'd clearly prefer the Radical Cylone for that purpose.
When looking for used trailers you could also look for the Carry Freedom Bike City Trailer (as far as I know no longer available new) and pretty brilliant for touring with the Brompton. Not a very popular or commonly known trailer and as every trailer it has it's own issues but very likable. Biggest issue for touring is probably that the bag is not waterproof. Also, any flatbed trailer is very suitable as you can simply put a bag on it. One of the best is the y-frame, also by carry freedome. Unfortunately it has become pretty expensive: https://planet-used.com/

Last edited:

brommieinkorea

By "travel" I'm pretty sure air travel was the idea. Yes the Radical Designs trailer is real oversize as a suitcase (about 72" linear) and that is a bigger reason that I haven't purchased one other than cost and lack of availability. But a length of 1/2 " alluminum rod, the right wheels and some tubing would easily turn many hard cases into a trailer. Sourcing Burley trailer hitch parts would probably make the best connection to the bike.

berlinonaut

Veteran
By "travel" I'm pretty sure air travel was the idea.
I prefer not to guess and the OP has not told what kind of travel he plans. What makes you sure that he is talking about air travel=
But a length of 1/2 " alluminum rod, the right wheels and some tubing would easily turn many hard cases into a trailer. Sourcing Burley trailer hitch parts would probably make the best connection to the bike.

Why would Burley trailer parts make the best connection to the bike? One can use i.e. (and it has been done before) the bike friday trailer kit along with the Brompton hard case but probably has to use a different hitch. When it comes to hitches for the Brompton personally I'd either go for the Radical one or for the one from Carry Freedom. Both available seperately and solid. Even easier: Buy the trailer kit from Airnimal: https://airnimal.co/products/accessories/ or buy the circe atlas, which is basically the same thing with a removable flatbed on top: https://www.circecycles.com/products/accessories/luggage/#atlas-trailer and use a hard case in combination.
As the OP is USA maybe the DIY kit from Wicycle of Canada is of interest - cheap and probably easy to get hold of: https://wicycle.com/products/bike-trailers/diy2

brommieinkorea

Bike Friday hitch is an air fitting with some hose and their bikes have a welded on threaded attachment for the quick release part Burley parts would be easier to use with a Brompton . Yes Bike Friday trailer kit is pretty good too, but a heck of a lot more expensive. Most of what you mention isn't readily available in USA. Travel ? Wild guess, when a 'merican says travel he aint talkin about bike touring... could very well be talking about any travel, and either way the Radical Designs trailer is a big package.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Bike Friday hitch is an air fitting with some hose and their bikes have a welded on threaded attachment for the quick release part Burley parts would be easier to use with a Brompton .
For one you don't have to use the BF hitch with their trailer kit and secondly the hitch part on the bike side does not need to be welded onto the bike (though it is with most Bike Fridays). They do use a hydraulic hose coupling as their hitch which has the advantage to be available around the world as a generic part in case of trouble and works pretty ok.
Yes Bike Friday trailer kit is pretty good too, but a heck of a lot more expensive. Most of what you mention isn't readily available in USA.
We do live in a globalized world and shipping is not much of an issue in our days... The Brompton is imported from UK as well...

brommieinkorea

For one you don't have to use the BF hitch with their trailer kit and secondly the hitch part on the bike side does not need to be welded onto the bike (though it is with most Bike Fridays). They do use a hydraulic hose coupling as their hitch which has the advantage to be available around the world as a generic part in case of trouble and works pretty ok.

We do live in a globalized world and shipping is not much of an issue in our days... The Brompton is imported from UK as well...

Yes, all very true.I just made suggestion as to course of action that would make the OP life easier (hopefully). Is a Bike Friday trailer frame wide enough to accommodate the rather square ,and wider, dimensions of a Brompton compatible box ?

berlinonaut

Veteran
Is a Bike Friday trailer frame wide enough to accommodate the rather square ,and wider, dimensions of a Brompton compatible box ?
Yes, one can make it fit w/o hassle. The Brompton hard case is however also slighly over the official airline limit. Not by much, but still this may create some adrenaline while checking in.

Top Bottom