Radio 4 cycling show pilot ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Doesn't goo_mason have a podcast? He'd know how to set about making one...

Who cares if it doesn't make the big time? Like sheddy says, would be fun to do, just like making videos for YouTube - it doesn't have to get you anywhere...

It could be the Cyclechat podcast....

I've had stuff on Bike TV in the states a few times and you could perhaps do something for them.....but ask about formats etc, first. http://www.biketv.org/Home/Home.html

jonesy

Guru
Arch said:
Surely though, you need contrast - so some 'obvious' towns, some 'Cycling Demo' towns, some 'places where there's one old guy who rides a Raleigh Twenty with his whippet in the basket and that's it' towns....

I agree. It is very important to understand the cities with a history of cycling- we need to understand the factors that lead to high levels of cycling and how cyclists and cycle journeys vary between places with high and low levels. It is very easy to make assumptions and draw the wrong conclusions about what makes a city cycle friendly... for example on the role of cycling infrastructure.

Most of the cycle growth in Oxford took place in the late 1970s and early 80s, BEFORE there was any significant amount of investment in cycling infrastructure. Indeed, much of the cycle provision that does exist is pretty awful, so cycling continues in spite of the facilities, not because of them! What appears to have been more significant is an ongoing policy of traffic restraint, with a lack of car parking, limited road access to the city centre and severe congestion making cycling a more convenient mode of transport. The relatively compact nature of the city, and having lots of students certainly helps; however it is quite wrong to suggest that cycling is primarily a student activity.

I nominate Glasgow. If ever there were a town that was not well designed for cycling then this is it!

According to the local council though there has been a significant rise in the numbers cycling in Glasgow's roads over the last few years, so despite the difficulties (poor road layouts, not so great cycle provision etc) people are taking to their bikes.

There is also the Commonwealth Games coming to Glasgow, so surely this is the perfect time to get more people exercising, with cycling being one of them. I think this could be an interesting angle.

Not sure how well my videos would come across on radio.....:biggrin::eek:

Top Bottom