Radio absences of Michael Jackson!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

I think its to do with the costs of Licencing rights, you will not hear a lot of Beatles either, the MJ estate owns the Beatles back catalogue as well, they are probably being greedy.
Edit seems thats old news,jackson bought them in 1985 and the rights to beatles songs were sold off in 2016

Last edited:
I think its to do with the costs of Licencing rights, you will not hear a lot of Beatles either, the MJ estate owns the Beatles back catalogue as well, they are probably being greedy.
Edit seems thats old news,jackson bought them in 1985 and the rights to beatles songs were sold off in 2016

The Beatles have not had any mainstream airtime since I first started listening to radio in mid 1970s.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I don't know for sure but on the radio channels I've heard music from several music generations either side of MJs era but hearing MJs music directly seems rare to me. I hear a lot of Prince though. He's not been around for years I believe.

I must admit to not being an MJ fan. Something about him put me off even though it was good. I did go to see his film in a cinema though. What a joke! Made him a lot no doubt but it was poor.

After Princes death I got into his music, i learnt from a colleague more about his musical impact what with all his songs written for others too. He's probably got a lot of hits if you include the ones he's written for others. Funny how a death and post death retrospective can make you realise just how good someone really was. I got into David Bowie in my early 20s, long after he kind of slipped out of popularity. Loved his songs from his heyday. Still alive when I found his talent. All still on the radio occasionally.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
After the Savile scandal, they don't tend to give airtime/TV time to people who have either been convicted of CA or had many allegations about it been made. The BBC got a right kicking and rightly so after covering up for Savile even just after he died.
Now places just don't want to be associated with any of it.
That's why he's not played anymore.

a.twiddler

Veteran
The likes of out and out furtive predators like Rolf Harris, Savile, Glitter, despite being omnipresent on the media when I was younger just give me a bad feeling when I think about them now. Hard to rationalise it, but somehow MJ, although never one of my favourites, is still listenable to me if one of his songs is aired.

The likes of out and out furtive predators like Rolf Harris, Savile, Glitter, despite being omnipresent on the media when I was younger just give me a bad feeling when I think about them now. Hard to rationalise it, but somehow MJ, although never one of my favourites, is still listenable to me if one of his songs is aired.

I was 10 when Garry Glitter was the playground hero that every boy idolised. He gave me the creeps even back then.

Jody

Stubborn git
Sony bought a 50% stake in MJ's music catalogue in the last couple of months. Might be something to do with it?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was 10 when Garry Glitter was the playground hero that every boy idolised. He gave me the creeps even back then.

I remember playground debates along the lines of "Gary Glitter and Alvin Stardust, compare and contrast". I think I was in the Stardust camp.

Top Bottom