Radio comms for cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Redvers

I’ve noticed a lot of competitors on the TdeF this year wearing Bluetooth type ear/mic pieces.

I’m wondering if these are just to receive information from the team cars & managers or whether the individual team members can talk to each other directly. If so I guess this would be some kind of radio link and I would be interested to know exactly what they are using.

Earlier this year I did a far more casual tour down through France with 3 friends and we seem to be constantly having to shout to each other and repeat things. Some kind of neat lightweight Bluetooth type device to communicate with could be very useful.

I know that something like that is available for motor bikers but they are a bit bulky and the ear pieces fit inside the helmets. I would be interested to know of anything out there similar and suitable for cyclists.

Not Bluetooth but proper two way radio - look for the box in the back pocket! Bluetooth has a transmission range of a matter of yards.

Something like http://www.earpieceonline.co.uk/two...radio-and-boom-mic-earpieces-in-one-pack.html would work. The important bit is the boom mic and earphone.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Mrs SJ bought a two way radio for use when we had a motorcycle so she could chat from the pillion. It lasted about two miles before I turned it off. Riding two wheels and having one of those things blathering in your ear is a massively distracting pain in the arse.

MisterStan

Label Required
Mrs SJ bought a two way radio for use when we had a motorcycle so she could chat from the pillion. It lasted about two miles before I turned it off. Riding two wheels and having one of those things blathering in your ear is a massively distracting pain in the arse.
Having your Mrs blathering in your ear is always a massive pain in the arse.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Any decent PMR radio will work, you can get allsorts of attachments for them, inner ear and mic setups with PTT buttons mountable wherever its convenient.
used one for airsoft for a while.

GrasB

Veteran
Not Bluetooth but proper two way radio - look for the box in the back pocket! Bluetooth has a transmission range of a matter of yards.
Class 1 BT devices work find at 100m or so free air. Most devices are class2 with a ~10m range, there's also class 3 devices are up to 5m but often are in the sub 1m range.

But yes, teams use proper 3 way radios, which is why if you look at most of the high-end bib-shorts/knickers/longs they have a small pocket on the back panel.

OP
OP
Redvers

Redvers

Thanks Guys, I will follow up your interesting links and look into this whole business further.

I realise, of course that any Bluetooth element would only be to wirelessly connect to a walkie-talkie type device in a jersey back pocket, however, for what it’s worth, I have just checked the outdoors range of my HTC mobile to a Sony/Ericsson MW600 Bluetooth headset, signal only starts to breakup after 18 metres !

Melonfish, Sorry you have lost me, PTT buttons I get but PMR radio and airsoft ??

Smokin Joe, I take your point, even allowing for the 'Mrs dimension', the whole idea could be pants plus an extra 500gms of weight.

Top Bottom