Radio Dead!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I retuned the DAB radio this morning and had a wander around the available stations and THIS caught my attention, purely because of the name.

The premise is that they only play the music of artists that are dead, which doesn't really limit the choice by very much. The playlist is largely just run through on autoplay but I did hear a real voice this afternoon that sounded familiar, and sure enough, it was that idiot Steve Penk. The guy is a moron, far far worse than Steve Wright. BITD he was on Manchester local radio and he was probably the main reason I went off commercial radio at the time. He thought he was hilarious with his childish, imbecilic crank phone calls, which were slightly funny for all of 2 minutes but he carried on milking that formula for years, taking all the worst characteristics of a Timmy Mallet type character and pushing it beyond reasonable limits.

Looks like this radio station is his own creation, maybe this is the only way he can get any airtime nowadays? Reminds me of that bloke that was being a DJ in his shed and just broadcasting to his wife.

Anyway, idiot DJ aside, the automated playlist is actually ok and plays some of the stuff you really don't hear very often, as well as some surprisingly modern stuff (TLC?). Obviously there is the odd howler played just because it was once in the charts a long time ago and the performer is now passed on, but apart from the occasional track that might be better forgotten it is an otherwise decent and varied selection.

One slightly weird thing they do is occasionally play a snippet of news bulletin where a performers death is announced. They also annotate some of the songs with the information about date and place of death! It's all a bit creepy if you think about it.

upload_2019-1-14_17-45-28.png

Great Logo though, really sympathetic to those that are aged performers (Kind of don't look now but the Grim Reaper is waiting....).

I will keep it on the radio for a few more days (It will drive Mrs Skol nuts with the 'old man' 50s & 60s stuff that also gets played) then I will do what I suspect most people will do and move back to the stuff I was tuned to before. I guess it will be gone inside of 6 months?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Off to re-tune the DAB...

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sorry ,Thought this was a Zoe Ball thread...

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Another day spent tuned in to Radio Dead.

Tonight I realised why I am enjoying it so much when my 12yr old son got home from school and asked me what was happening with the Brexit vote?

I didn't know, and then it hit me. No news, no adverts, no Brexit, just music and short jingles. What's not to like?

Top Bottom