Radio/iPod Dock/wi-fi music -recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
I need to replace cheapo hi-fi CD/Radio in our kitchen/living room. So I'm thinking of buying an iPod docking station with built it radio, and possibly built in wi-fi connection too.

Money not too much of an issue, looking for quality, and ideally an all-in-one unit.

I'm considering the Revo Ikon or the Pure Digital Avanti Flow.

Anyone able to recommend something?

twowheelsgood

If you are looking for audio quality, then the ipod isn't the place to start. The analogue section is just too a poor design (ironically, the cheapest ipod shuffle is a totally different and BETTER design). As far as I know all ipod docks are just amplifiers with the option of adding external controls and display. There is no digital out to do anything useful with.

If you want anything of quality, then you need to start looking at a network player something like a Logitech squeezebox.

If cost truly isn't an issue: http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/devices/3163

it depends really how seriously hi-fi you are. Ipod is fine for boom-boxes and minis.

Ergle

Über Member
I bought a £100 Roberts radio / docking station - I thought that with the Roberts name it would be as good as the other products of theirs that I have.

The sound quality is disappointing. I wish I'd listened to one before buying.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We have the BOSE sound dock and the sound is very good. I expect they do one with a radio, don't they?

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Went to John Lewis today for a browse. The Revo Ikon is stylish but very plasticky and cheap looking. Sound quality poor.

The Pure Avanti is as ugly as sin, but sounds much better than the Revo. Had all the features but we weren't quite convinced.

After much debate we decided we could do without the internet wi-fi facilities and went for a quality DB radio/iPod dock and chose the Roberts MP-Sound53. Not cheap but happy we bought the right device. Excellent sound, easy to use, the right size and shape, looks good. Added bonus is that it has a CD player so I don't have to load up my iPod with all my oldies.

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Products/DAB_radios/SOUND_53/index.htm

Regarding the 'tinterweb bit, could I bung an iPod Touch on the dock and wi-fi stream iPlayer to the Roberts?

simonali

Guru
Did you try the iplayer thing yet?

I got myself a dock for my birthday last year and after being disappointed with the Bose unit and returning it, I splashed out on a Vita Audio R4 in piano black. It's a cool bit of kit and the only gripe I have is the unresponsive remote, which also takes AAAA batteries and they're bloody hard to find.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Not tried the iPlayer thing yet, but I'm failrly sure it'll work. An iPod touch will wi-fi iPlayer so, I'm guessing the Roberts will play it just the same as other iPod output. I'll check soon (when I get the ipod!)

BTW also looked at the Vita R4 and R2. The R4 had marginally better sound quality than the Roberts, but was very pricey. I preferred the more traditional Roberts remote, and also preferred the looks (they didn't have a black R4, only walnut)

Top Bottom